Toronto Ace Hotel Toronto | 44.8m | 13s | Carbon Hospitality | Shim-Sutcliffe

Plenty happening, from yesterday afternoon:

You have inspired me to see if there is more up to date information to be had from the Dev App site - and there is, from the April 2017 SPA 1:50 elevations:

upload_2017-7-2_12-31-42.png

upload_2017-7-2_12-31-55.png

upload_2017-7-2_12-32-11.png

It's going to be pre-cast concrete with embedded brick, Corten and bronze glazing in the upper floors. Oh so sexy - the ground floor is almost Steampunk-y.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-2_12-31-42.png
    upload_2017-7-2_12-31-42.png
    460.1 KB · Views: 2,180
  • upload_2017-7-2_12-31-55.png
    upload_2017-7-2_12-31-55.png
    306.2 KB · Views: 1,465
  • upload_2017-7-2_12-32-11.png
    upload_2017-7-2_12-32-11.png
    365.8 KB · Views: 1,219
Last edited:
This is still going to be a gorgeous building, but I'm sad that it has lost the unique brick paving that was proposed to extend out to the curb to match the cladding:
Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.23.46 PM.png

Thanks to the efforts of staff, we're getting a regular concrete sidewalk here, folks.

This city sometimes makes me want to cry.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.23.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.23.46 PM.png
    347.9 KB · Views: 1,302
This is still going to be a gorgeous building, but I'm sad that it has lost the unique brick paving that was proposed to extend out to the curb to match the cladding:
View attachment 113950

Thanks to the efforts of staff, we're getting a regular concrete sidewalk here, folks.

This city sometimes makes me want to cry.

Though tbh I'd rather see them focus the effort on the building itself - and have paving be a district level kind of treatment.

AoD

Though tbh I'd rather see them focus the effort on the building itself - and have paving be a district level kind of treatment.
I'd be fine with that too, but it seems unlikely to happen here unless the city decides to redo Brant Street. Though I would love to see a coherently paved and landscaped link from the Well up through the BIG project south of King, then along Brant past 51 Camden to Richmond and the Waterworks project.

I'd be fine with that too, but it seems unlikely to happen here unless the city decides to redo Brant Street. Though I would love to see a coherently paved and landscaped link from the Well up through the BIG project south of King, then along Brant past 51 Camden to Richmond and the Waterworks project.

True that the city won't do anything on its own but I am not a big fan of individual developments spending excessive efforts on paving that's in all likelihood not going to be maintained. It's really something best tackled at a higher level.

AoD

There has been active talk of redoing Brant Street as a "greenway" between King Street and Richmond. I believe that this will only occur following then construction of the Waterworks project and the following expansion and redesign of St. Andrews Park.

I anticipate that the detailing here is going to be beautiful. Shim-Sutcliffe does really special work and their details are beautiful.

The design for this project isn't my personal style, but I'm excited for the architectural interest and visual diversity it's going to contribute to the neighbourhood.

Back