Toronto 50 Bloor Street West | 230.11m | 70s | Morguard Corporation | Pellow + Associates

Great find steveve!

Finally, a digital high-quality image of the 70-storey design that was actually approved by City Council last year. I have added higher-res versions to the dataBase file.

Remember, as of approval time last year, Morguard had no plans to go ahead with this in the short term. The complex, however, is now zoned for much more density than it was before, so the land is now worth much more. In the meantime, plans to rebuild Holt Renfrew are rumbling along in the background. I can only assume that the rebuild of the store will allow for a new tower to be built above it, but we won't likely hear about that until the approvals process for the store kicks in. Rebuilding that store is going to be very, very complicated if Holt Renfrew intends to remain open onsite during that process.

So, other than finally being able to see the rendering that accompanied the approved massing for 50 Bloor West (check out the dataBase file), there's nothing concrete to report on now regarding dates or final designs. Who knows what eventually does get built here will look like, but it will not be this particular design.

I've actually really liked all designs proposed for this site so far. I hope this trend continues with future revisions down the line that retain some of the aspects seen with the former. While approved for 230m, I do hope that this figure is increased to a height somewhere in between the current and original proposal (245 meters would create a nice stepping stone effect from 2 Bloor to One Bloor to The One). Though shadowing presents a challenge as I recall, the site and area really is primed for incredible density with a potential supertall across the street.

Not sure about the master plan, if any - but 50 Bloor W project never included the office at the corner.

AoD

50 Bloor West was cancelled in favor of the master plan which includes the whole block. We haven't seen the details of this new plan yet, but I believe this office building is part of it.

50 Bloor West was a rezoning excercise done to determine what the highest and best use of the site would be. 60 Bloor wouldn't need be touched. They have 50 Bloor's site approved at 70s, so when the remaining economic life of the holts store runs out, they can either: renovate massively (basically a rebuilt of existing structure), or redevelop. Both are disruptive to current operations. My guess is now that they know the physical uses possible, and legal use permitted that results in the most profitable result, they can go with the tower at that point. (My guess is probably in partnership with a well known luxury builder, and based on the resulting success level of something like a 1 Bloor W.) That's my understanding of how this usually works at least...

50 Bloor West was cancelled in favor of the master plan which includes the whole block. We haven't seen the details of this new plan yet, but I believe this office building is part of it.

The block is owned by different ownership groups. It's unlikely they would come together now.

Kingsett owns a very large chunk of the block. There are several international design firms competing for the design.

@buildup is correct. *Huge* things afoot here.

Would it be correct to assume that since Holt Renfrew just spent a lot of money renovating their offices that 60 Bloor is probably included in the new plan, and not being torn down? I can't imagine a landlord not giving them the heads up.

Huge isn't an over-statement.

60 Bloor is included in the future plans for the site. There was a design competition between 5 firms - international - a few months back.

Back