Toronto The Livmore | 138.68m | 43s | Vertica | IBI Group

This has been an empty lot for so long...since I moved here to go to Ryerson. Bay Street had always seemed a 'back alley' to Yonge. I hope all these developments bring some much needed life to Bay above Dundas to Wellesley.

Funny thing about this intersection. Before the hippies hit Yorkville this was the hip neighbourhood downtown. Toronto's mini version of Greenwich Village.

Think "beatniks," and what comes to mind? Black berets. Jazz. Jarring jagged lines of poetic chaos. A delight in madness. Lawrence Ferlinghetti. Jack Kerouac. Allen Ginsberg. William S. Burroughs. On the Road. Howl. Naked Lunch. In the 1950s and early '60s, Toronto has its own beatnik scene, centred on the two-block-long Gerrard Street Village. Here, the CBC films Canada's first "Happening" at the Bohemian Embassy, featuring beat poetry, jazz Hamlet and Dada-esque eruptions of art.
http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/beatniks-the-hippie-forefathers

That little strip on the northwest corner is all that remains.

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at Friday Mar 17, 2017 2.47.34 PM.png

They sure did a number on the rest of this neighbourhood.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at Friday Mar 17, 2017 2.47.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at Friday Mar 17, 2017 2.47.34 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 296
There's a bunch of glass installed on the second floor now. Not much to see because it's all inset behind the balcony, but progress nonetheless

IMG_1805.jpg
IMG_1806.jpg
IMG_1807.jpg
IMG_1808.jpg

The window wall isn't pretty so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1805.jpg
    IMG_1805.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1806.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_1807.jpg
    IMG_1807.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1808.jpg
    IMG_1808.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
I dreamed of curtain wall but, this is promising. It's a rental tower afterall.

Promising? It looks like the grey-headed stepchild of Studio's Nelson St. podium and 365's tower. Not good.

Why not considering its context. I know it's grasping at straws but, I'm sick at being disappointed. So far, it's marginally less appalling than the rental towers. The last semi satisfactory rental tower I can recall was also the last by Concert/OMERS.

Ah, maybe your right. BCIMC has commissioned passable before. Perhaps that came from Bentall instead of GWL.

How unobservant are some of these design leads if they haven't noticed how messy and cheap light-coloured mullions look (except where used carefully and toward a design intent)?! I really can't comprehend it.

Back