Toronto Four Eleven King Condominiums | 149.04m | 45s | Great Gulf | KPMB

Shoppers Drug Mart and LCBO are the worst offenders for filling up perfectly good urban lots with ugly stucco single storey boxes.

the Shoppers at Queen and Parliament really bugs me, as does the LCBO at Dupont and Spadina.

I'm with Vaughan on this one (for once).

Add the LCBO on Yonge north of Davisville to the list of mistakes.

I've been wondering what was going on that corner once I saw that Budget cleared out of there.

An LCBO there would be great! :D I do hope that it'll be more than one storey, not due to density issues, but because I want the store to have lots of product.

Also hopefully the place gets a good store manager that'll stock good beer and support the seasonals.

A good store manager makes a BIG difference -- the manager at my local LCBO is very good for specialty beers. (Trappist ales, Lambics, etc.)

indeed the building will prolly be down by the end of this month - the building is draped in numerous banners stating "Lions Demolition and Excavation"

Having lived in that area I must admit a LCBO is really needed especially with all the condos going up now. The nearest place around there was the one at Spadina just north of Dundas and it is crappiest LCBO.

Note: I'd halfway exempt the Dupont LCBO for vitriol on account of its being a retrofitted ex-Loblaws...

Having lived in that area I must admit a LCBO is really needed especially with all the condos going up now. The nearest place around there was the one at Spadina just north of Dundas and it is crappiest LCBO.

I agree. It's probably the worst LCBO i've ever been into - the drunks hanging out in front asking for change, the drunks fighting with the cashiers who refuse to serve them, the smell, the dinginess of the entrance.

I would be very happy if it was just a 8-storey-ish building that matches the style of the old building on the SW corner with a decent sized LCBO. The next to go then would be the Backpacker's Hostel - as great as hostels are, I think the corner deserves something better.

^ Agreed. I think there is some real beauty under that crazy paint job. I can imagine this being restored to its natural brick and being one of the nicest buildings along King Street. Throw a nice modern glass addition to the back of it and it would be a beauty.

I'd be surprised if that building ever gets demolished. I'd love to see it restored.

Geez what do you guys have against the hostel. It's patrons don't seem to cause any problems, and it's rated VERY highly on all these hostel review sites.

I do agree--even the "crazy paint job" isn't offensive, for what it is. You all might as well be recommending discarding the Wheat Sheaf as well. Look: it's a hostel, not a homeless shelter--terrific location, and why gentrify/yuppify everything in sight. Great afterlife for the old Spadina Hotel...

I personally believe that a large tower at this corner isn't exactly the best idea. King and Spadina seems appropriate as the transition point between the taller buildings east of the site and the medium-to-low rise buildings to the west. M5V is setting a pretty bad precedent of a mid-block high rise building and sadly I think if this developer wants the height, they'll get it. Everything being proposed/built west of Spadina is in the 12 storey range, so something in the 15 range I think is probably the most this site should have.
That being said, I would be alright if it were massed similar to Hudson to achieve the height.

I will defend the Dundas & Spadina LCBO location a bit as it usually carries the seasonal beer selections and many new beer general listings. I was surprised considering it's such a small location. That being said, I still prefer going to the Queen's Quay LCBO.

A multi-storey building would work quite nicely. The first floor could be the usual suspects of beer, wine, spirits that'll allow people to get in and out quickly. Then you could do floors dedicated to each type of product. A beer/cooler floor (preferably properly refridgerated, a wine floor (maybe one white and one red), a spirits floor and Vintages.

Considering how the LCBO works I can't see them opening a location at City Place and one at King and Spadina. Since they have no competition why would they care if you had to walk or drive a bit to get to the store?

Back