Toronto 36Hazelton | ?m | 7s | Alterra | BDP Quadrangle

City Planning Final + Supplementary Report

I guess planning staff changed their minds on this application after they went on strike ?? :D

For consideration by Toronto and East York Community Council on Sept 15/09:

June 12, 2009

This report is a continuation of the staff report dated June 1st, 2009 and replaces the refusal report (Item TE27.29) submitted by Staff to the April 21, 2009 Toronto East York Community Council meeting.

At its meeting of April 21, 2009 Toronto and East York Community Council (TEYCC) deferred consideration of a refusal report from Planning Staff, in response to the presentation of a revised proposal by the Applicant at that same meeting. Planning Staff were directed to review the revised proposal and report back on any further recommendations.

As a result of additional meetings with staff, the applicant has made additional revisions to the proposal. The application is now for a partial 7-storey, 30 unit residential condominium building that includes the alteration of the existing designated schoolhouse building with the introduction of a new addition to the rear and partially above the retained building façade.

The proposed development has an overall height of 26.72 metres including the mechanical penthouse. A total gross floor area of 5,610 square metres (60,387 sq. ft) is proposed, representing a density of 3.6 times the area of the lot.

This supplementary report reviews and recommends approval of the revised application to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-22135.pdf

August 12, 2009

At its meeting of April 21, 2009 Toronto and East York Community Council deferred consideration of a report from the Director, Community Planning until the meeting of June 23, 2009, with a request that staff report to that meeting on the Applicant’s revised proposal for 34-38 Hazelton Avenue dated April 21, 2009. This proposal was found to be unacceptable to City staff.

However, since that time, a further revised application was submitted, dated June 10, 2009. A joint report from Community Planning and Heritage Preservation Services dated June 12, 2009 recommending approval of the June 10, 2009 revised proposal was to be considered by TEYCC on June 23, 2009. This meeting was cancelled as a result of the recent labour disruption.

On July 6, 2009 the applicant filed an appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) for City Council’s failure to make a decision within the statutory timelines for both Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment applications.

Notwithstanding the appeal to the board, the applicant has agreed to a full statutory public meeting before Community Council so that Council may consider and potentially adopt the recommended Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments.

Therefore, staff continue to recommend that Council adopt the recommendations contained in the staff report of June 12, 2009.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-22975.pdf

How could anyone support a tower on Hazelton?

hazelton+ave+btiques0808.jpg

This makes good step backs from Hazelton. There are already buildings much taller than this one along Avenue Road that back on to this site. I think it works.

Did anyone goto the September 15 2009 Public meeting regarding this site? I was planning on attending, but forgot all about it.

I imagine everyone who went was up-in-arms; was there any good points raised?

I have no idea how to post a picture, so please see attached.

Attachments

• 34 38 Hazelton.JPG
    34 38 Hazelton.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 500
It looks like the "Save Yorkville!" histrionics have failed and this one's going ahead. The front of the heritage building has a very large, minimalist black sign announcing "Hazelton 36": 18 units. Website is http://www.hazelton36.com/ - lots of pictures, no real information.

Good question. New York City-based architect Peter Marino is mentioned as the designer in post #4, and it is his name listed as architect in the first 8-storey Rezoning Application made to the City, (which it refused), but by the time a revised 7-storey rezoning application was made (and posted by Solaris in #17 above), Ralph Giannone's name was then listed as architect. Matteo is right, however: the images at the hazelton36 website are taken from Parisian architect Joseph Dirand's website. Hmm. A phone inquiry to the number listed at the website does not produce an immediate confirmation: I am only told that an announcement will be made when the building goes into sales in May.

For the time being I will remove Peter Marino's name from the thread title; after all, those aren't his pics on the project website.

Like to see how the project does sales-wise come May.

Project financed by FIRM CAPITAL CORP

Developer: Rose & Thistle Group of Companies

The marketing for this place is hilarious. The opening photo on their website slideshow shows a white couch sitting on a balcony that is floating diagonally above Ryerson's Kerr Hall.

The proposal, on the other hand, is pretty sad.

I just got an email from them asking me to reconfirm my interest by clicking on a button (which I did) and then was told that someone will be contacting me shortly. So it looks like things are finally going to move ahead, at least to the active marketing.

via urbanation's twitter feed, it looks like the address is actually 36 Hazelton......

36hazelton_img1.jpg

36hazelton_img2.jpg

36hazelton_img3.jpg

36hazelton_img4.jpg

36hazelton_img5.jpg

36hazelton_img6.jpg

Last edited:

Back