Toronto 34-50 King East | 112.36m | 33s | Larco | a—A

I'd like to know the provenance of the existing 34-36 King--given the IBM showroom once in there, I'm even wondering whether Elliot Noyes had some say in the design...

I'd like to know the provenance of the existing 34-36 King--given the IBM showroom once in there, I'm even wondering whether Elliot Noyes had some say in the design...
I am only now making the connection that this classic Toronto photo is the building in question. Thanks @adma

Toronto-KingSt-Datacenter-1.jpg

*Source

34kinggoogle.JPG

Attachments

• 34kinggoogle.JPG
    34kinggoogle.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 1,865
33 storey/133 meters

34 KING ST E
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District

Rezoning application to permit a 33-storey mixed use office and residential building with ground floor retail. The proposal includes the conservation of the existing 5-storey heritage listed Quebec Bank building on-site as part of the development. The proposal include 219 residential rental units, 10,261 square metres of non-residentail space, 78 parking spaces in a 5-level underground garage, and 269 bicycle parking spaces.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 16 159562 STE 28 OZ May 20, 2016 Under Review

▼ Supporting Documentation

Last edited:
Seems like there are a lot of (competing?) design elements evident in those renders. I'm sure they'll be refined, but I hope they're in the direction of simplifying.

Old brick building = heritage and is saved while mid-century modern = nothing and gets razed. Both should be saved.
Well put. I have always feared for this great example of mid-century modernist architecture.

Just came across this listing on MLS for a cafe located on the property. Coincidence?
VERY oddly worded it is too: If the current owner can't cook it may explain his/her retirement!

Potential To Add Any Kind Of Food, Or Liquor License Or Add More Famous Brandy Coffer To Attract The More Customers. The Seller Can't Cook, Retired.

Back