Toronto One Thirty Eight | 130.1m | 29s | Cityzen | BBB

The application proposes to construct a 38 storey (120 metres, plus 6-metre mechanical penthouse, and an addition 5-metre elevator overrun and architectural element - total 131 metres) mixed-use building with 342 residential units and retail in the first two storeys.

This might be interesting, depending on what sort of "architectural element" they propose.

122.65m
214 1-bedroom
128 2-bedroom
247 parking spaces

SitePlan-1.jpg

EastElevation-1.jpg

WestElevation.jpg

NorthElevation-1.jpg

SouthElevation.jpg

What a behemoth. The lowrise charm of Yorkville continues to be eaten away.

This one could be very nice. It appears that the western facade has a twist as it rises, from almost north-south to a more northeast-southwest orientation. The division of the floorplate into three semi-separate units makes for a quite interesting effect as well.

Of course, we need to wait for renders, but so far I like it.

I don't we should have high rises in this neighborhood it's gonna ruin the whole feel of it.

i agree - Yorkville should be kept lowrise but its been under assault for a number of years and clearly its a losing battle

Don't the city planners or whoever is in charge see this?? Don't they travel and see the world and take a note of how things r done?? It's common sense, not rocket science. They can allocate a few blocks of low rises and build their high rises on the periphery. As soon as a neighborhood gets a little quaint and buzzing, u have these glass monstrosities movin in. There's plenty of space outside of the yorkville proper where they can put up their glass buildings. I'm fed up with these tasteless ******* running this city's urban planning dept.
That's it, I said it!!!!

This isn't planners doing this: this is a developer applying to build something that's bigger than what's allowed. That's how it always goes. Whether or not they get to build what they want, or have to adjust it, or get turned down, is what the process is all about.

Don't like what you see? Show up at a public consultation and have your say!

Some would consider this site to be on the periphery of Yorkville, by the way, and the developer will argue that if asked. After all, this is directly across the street from a 33 or so storey tower that's been there for 40 years. They'll probably call this a gateway to Yorkville at the public meeting. I can hear it now…

Wish I could but don't live there anymore.
If this is the gateway to yorkville, weren't they thinking of building a high rise right across from sassafras???

The one across from Sassafras is Minto - there's a thread for that one somewhere. I don't think that thread has been updated in quite a while, but last time it was I think they were asking for less height than they originally wanted.

Did Minto call that one a gateway too? I wouldn't be surprised as it does sit adjacent to other tallish buildings.

I do agree that both of these projects would make the low rise middle of Yorkville feel more hemmed in, and I don't think that locals will be happy with that. That second tower proposed on the former Four Seasons site isn't getting an easy ride either as far as I'm aware. Good thing too.

Others here must know more about the difficulties that developers face when proposing high buildings in and around Yorkville than I do.

Back