Toronto One Thirty Eight | 130.1m | 29s | Cityzen | BBB

please do enlighten us

Demolishing York Square for a generic condo? These intimate public spaces are what make Yorkville tick, and why it's such a successful and dynamic neighbourhood. Previous developments went over parking lots, but now they're going directly into its essence.

I haven't heard nary a peep from KWT or the usual historical designation folks... Got their panties in numerous twists over Stollery's and Hue's (both generic, forgettable and a dime a dozen in the city) but aren't upset over the loss of a project that in fact started the whole historical redevelopment movement in the city in the first place!

The irony is delicious.

Hue's Kitchen is hardly generic. It is actually quite a beautiful building and one the better preserved ones in the city. If only all our older buildings could be so well maintained...

I haven't heard nary a peep from KWT or the usual historical designation folks... Got their panties in numerous twists over Stollery's and Hue's (both generic, forgettable and a dime a dozen in the city) but aren't upset over the loss of a project that in fact started the whole historical redevelopment movement in the city in the first place!

The irony is delicious.

Oh, the "usual historical designation folks" are engaged, all right. Trust me. They are. It's just that the process here has been more "complicated", and there's been no in-your-face attention-drawing drastic action a la the weekend wreckers hitting Stollery's.

Remember: when it comes to getting panties in a knot, all too often it ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it.

You can put plenty of effort into saving the bricks and mortar, but it's not the solid that's important here so much as the void that the buildings give shape to. The courtyard space is what's special on this block and truly "Yorkville". Really sad to see the most important part of York Square disappearing.

It's not enough to just save the facades, because those are really the least important part. A public space is an experience, whereas the bricks and mortar are just materials. Without the public space within, the buildings are no longer anything more than the sum of their parts.

As much as I am pro-density and often pro-highrise, I do feel that Yorkville's character is under attack. The characteristics that made it special in the first place and have continued to give it any of the charm it has left, are being eroded quickly.

Also, the design of this project is unfocused. It's so incohesive; the revisions are going to have to be pretty deep-cutting to make a positive difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
New render on planning portal from December:
140yorkville.png
140yorkville2.png
140yorkville3.png
140yorkville4.png
140yorkville5.png
140yorkville6.png

Attachments

• 140yorkville.png
    140yorkville.png
    502.6 KB · Views: 762
  • 140yorkville2.png
    140yorkville2.png
    656.5 KB · Views: 766
  • 140yorkville3.png
    140yorkville3.png
    585.5 KB · Views: 774
  • 140yorkville4.png
    140yorkville4.png
    555.2 KB · Views: 830
  • 140yorkville5.png
    140yorkville5.png
    553.1 KB · Views: 740
  • 140yorkville6.png
    140yorkville6.png
    605.2 KB · Views: 800
This is a thousand times better than the original proposal. Instead of a hulking structure swallowing the corner with a bland façade of glass and cookie cutter design, the pedestrian is given lots of room to breath (and the design has at least a few interesting elements). I also like how the tower steps back from the podium.

It's down to 30 storeys and 127m as well. Looks much better though. Who remembers this garbage?

8113769799_a0fe7070c4_o.png

Attachments

• 8113769799_a0fe7070c4_o.png
    8113769799_a0fe7070c4_o.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 739
This is way more fitting to be branded 'Tableau' than Tableau.

No one thought the original would be approved. This is Toronto's premier area.

Back