Toronto One Thirty Eight | 130.1m | 29s | Cityzen | BBB

But on top of all that--much as I rang the Chaz alarm bells on behalf of the existing 45 Charles, I'd have to ring the alarm bells on behalf of York Square--which put Diamond + Myers on the architectural map 40+ years ago...

But on top of all that--much as I rang the Chaz alarm bells on behalf of the existing 45 Charles, I'd have to ring the alarm bells on behalf of York Square--which put Diamond + Myers on the architectural map 40+ years ago...

We're dealing with an impressively sophisticated and urban project by Diamond + Myers here. Losing York Square and 140 Yorkville may be a greater loss to the city than 45 Charles. The ideas advanced by Diamond + Myers back then still seem advanced and evocative of a breakthrough in urbanism. To destroy these buildings would be a major step backwards in terms of the possible architectural and urban sophistication that can be achieved through development in Toronto.

The collection of existing buildings is the legacy of a project that weaved old and new into an interesting development compatible with the traditional scale of the neighbourhood. These buildings mean a varied streetscape and a built form accommodating of different users. It would be a significant blow to the city's heritage and future aspirations if we were to lose these creative and sophisticated examples of how to develop and adapt traditional forms into the modern era without destroying a place's character in built form. It's unacceptable to see the products of an ambitious vision in the 1970s to avoid clearing city blocks for a single homogeneous tower that Barton + Myers realized here now in serious jeopardy.

I find it interesting how First Capital has just closed on 136 Yorkville - which is a decent size property that will be sandwiched in between two condos -- I guess this will be filled in with a boutique size condo in the future.

First Capital paid 15.25 mil for it - So I'm assuming it wasn't feasible for Empire to include it in their development

I find it interesting how First Capital has just closed on 136 Yorkville - which is a decent size property that will be sandwiched in between two condos -- I guess this will be filled in with a boutique size condo in the future.

First Capital paid 15.25 mil for it - So I'm assuming it wasn't feasible for Empire to include it in their development

Now they can provide access straight into Hazelton Lanes off Yorkille. It's a smart move as it might actually drive some traffic in there finally.

As for the price, well, in for a dime, in for a dollar so to speak.

From Built Heritage News 196

9. York Square Redevelopment - More Threats to Queen

According to Councillor Kristen Wong-Tam’s office there are now 8 or 9 development applications in the pipe which could impact on the historic views of Queen’s Park. The most advanced is a proposal from Empire Communities for a 38 storey tower on the site of Yorkvilles, York Square.

York Square was a revolutionary development in its day, designed by architects Diamond and Myers in the mid 1960’s. It was home to the famous Book Cellar, and remains home to Vidal Sassoon. Instead of razing all buildings and starting fresh, the project reused existing Victorian buildings and with some interesting additions, created a European scale shopping environment in Yorkville. The restaurant courtyard remains one of the city’s best places to enjoy a summer lunch.

Almost ten years before there was an Ontario Heritage Act, it was one of several projects from this inventive partnership that explored ideas of infill and historic preservation. Other projects along similar lines were the Hydro Block and the infill project at Dundas and Sherbourne. These were heady days in Toronto, days of the arrival of Jane Jacobs, Ken Greenberg, John Sewell, Karl Jaffary and David Crombie, figures who would set the stage for Toronto’s and other American cities for decades to come.

The proposal for redevelopment retains nothing of the original project, and seems like so many other entries into Toronto’s endless condo boom. However just as it seemed we might be making some headway with bringing the 21 Avenue Road down in height, this project will be even higher than what was approved by the Ontario Municipal Board. Its impact on the Queen’s Park viewshed will be significant.

The City has been crawling forward to develop views protection for the post card view of the Pink Palace from College and University Avenue, and there is discussion of trying to protect the silhouette from Queen Street. Even if the City succeeds in putting protection in place, it will have to continually defend those standards at the OMB to all comers. Sooner or later there is bound to be a chink in weak armour.

The best way for this view to be protected is for the province to introduce legislation. McGuinty has been dragging his heels on that file, but perhaps might be persuaded by an opposition that now holds the balance of power.

Gee, all this rant and roar regarding a proposed building (38s/131 meters) that is going to sit one block north of the 39s/
125 meter approved 21 Avenue Rd proposed structure...i doubt 6 meters in height difference way up there will have any impact on the silhouette from Queen Street on Queens Park

Gee, all this rant and roar regarding a proposed building (38s/131 meters) that is going to sit one block north of the 39s/
125 meter approved 21 Avenue Rd proposed structure...i doubt 6 meters in height difference way up there will have any impact on the silhouette from Queen Street on Queens Park

While ignoring the Queen's Park view corridor, I feel that the plans for the 39s tower at the old Four Seasons is an awkward piece of redevelopment and overwhelms the streetscape and area context. A height reduction along with design refinement would be appropriate, imo.

Wow. Now we're losing York Square and everything around it for good measure for a bland condo tower. It's worth taking a look at York Square before it's gone to get an idea of a brief era when we built buildings to complement neighbourhoods and heritage buildings rather than leveling a half dozen at a time.

In case I wasn't clear, this project should be blocked by any means necessary. Designate York Square as a landmark for a start, but after that designate Yorkville as a low-rise heritage district so that what's left of it can be preserved.

In case I wasn't clear, this project should be blocked by any means necessary. Designate York Square as a landmark for a start, but after that designate Yorkville as a low-rise heritage district so that what's left of it can be preserved.

Say what you want and couldnt care less if this new development is 39s or 9s, but looks to me like this site has been hacked through-out the years....
Probably doubtful, its designation as a landmark site in Yorkvilles low-rise heritage district....you judge for yourself

http://www.beintoronto.com/33-35-37-39-41-45-Avenue-Road-140-142-144-146-148-Yorkville-Square.html

Last edited:

AG,

The difference is that there's already a hulking 30s tower on that site that is hardly beloved and it's just 1 block north of Bloor. This site is not only solidly low rise but it really anchors the low rise streetscspe of this unique neighborhood. Demolishing it will impair the pedestrian centric focus of this block. You really have to look at every project individually and not just paint every piece of property in the area with the same brush. Minto's project at Bellair and Cumberland is already a bulky 16s structure so replacing with another 10s or whatever will have little effect on the street level environment and hopefully Minto will actually improve it with new retail geared to the flavor of the neighborhood. Similarly the new Four Seasons replaced a car dealership and a forgettable commercial building with what appears to be a really incredible project, even to the passing foot traffic.

I really believe a tower here could badly damage the character of this unique neighborhood. Do we really want this here? Does the City? Does the OP support it?

Last edited:
Say what you want and couldnt care less if this new development is 39s or 9s, but looks to me like this site has been hacked through-out the years....

If you're thinking of the brick portholes as part of the "hacked through-out the years": actually, they're a primary part of why the site should be designated, York Square and all of that...

The Book Cellar was one of the best bookstores that we had in this city. It looked onto the restaurant patio in the courtyard. The charm of Vidal Sassoon, which also overlooks the courtyard, was it's location in a multi-level narrow townhouse. It will be a shame to see this corner go.

This is probably one of the first projects in this city I am vehemently opposed to. No better way to kill Yorkville's character than to start putting up bland condos in its lowrise sections.

York Square is one of my favourite buildings in the city. The courtyard, its restaurant, the retail; is all charming. There is no way you can recreate that with a pile of crap from Empire.

I wouldn't mind if a building with the same look as the stern building on st Thomas goes up there. But only 5 storeys, not more. With cute boutiques and cafés below. Other than that I oppose to anything. We have to keep the character of that corner.

This is probably one of the first projects in this city I am vehemently opposed to. No better way to kill Yorkville's character than to start putting up bland condos in its lowrise sections.

York Square is one of my favourite buildings in the city. The courtyard, its restaurant, the retail; is all charming. There is no way you can recreate that with a pile of crap from Empire.

looking at google maps hazleton looks like the start of the low rise section and that really ends quickly at bellair...

Id also like to point out that the parking garage immediately to the east of the current four seasons will eventually be developed causing this area to be even more high rise then it presently is. Finally I think the opposition of the condo in this area is at least partly due to the fact we are sceptical that the condos will do justice to this area. There have been nice condos built but when even the so called 5 stars leave a lot to be desired (Trump, Ritz) it is easy to get concerned something cheap will ruin an attractive neighbourhood..

5th ave has high rises. Im not opposed nor do i think that them being there will for sure doom yorkvilles fate... but good planning and good condos are the make or break of this areas future.

Back