Toronto One Thirty Eight | 130.1m | 29s | Cityzen | BBB

Core?

I like how it flares out toward the bottom, echoing its neighbour to the south, the old Four Seasons. A little bit of '70s chic seems fitting for Yorkvlle. I would like a little more than two floors of retail here though. It's a prime shopping location.

I think I like it....seeing a little bit of Uno Prii in the flare...subtle....it's different...

This development is unacceptable and simply should not go forward for what it proposes to destroy. Though it's not up to me, I'd rather continue the discussion than replicate it from the beginning, so here's a reference to where it began in detail on the topic of preservation and where I provide reasons for my position on this development.

Last edited:
It would be excellent if the project didn't get off the ground and the developer simply enjoyed the high rents of one of the most desirable areas in the city. (It could also be modified.) It destroys what we achieved in the 1970s: fine-grained infill that harmonizes new and old.

I prefer the proposal over what is currently there at street level, but I think they need to go for more than 2s retail. Hopefully, decent material is used and the white spandrel doesn't end up being beige.

I prefer the proposal over what is currently there at street level, but I think they need to go for more than 2s retail. Hopefully, decent material is used and the white spandrel doesn't end up being beige.

Given your statement in the Aura thread that "I want the focus to remain on the true heritage gems", consider the arguments in this thread that York Square is, indeed, a de facto "true heritage gem".

Reading the Toronto Star article - http://blog.newinhomes.com/news/peter-politis-talks-140-yorkville/ - I noticed a new rendering for the podium. Has this been posted?

new-140-yorkville-feature-642x336.jpg

It seems as though the podium for this development will flow into the new Hazelton Lanes redevelopment plans, "Politis explained that 140 Yorkville will be connected to Hazelton Lanes mall, which is being redeveloped by First Capital. Apparently, there are talks of two or three very high-end retailers coming to occupy Hazelton Lanes once the redevelopment is complete."

HAZELTON+LANES+MAIN+ENTRY.png

June+2013+Hazelton+Lanes+Rendering.jpg

More regarding the Hazelton Lanes redevelopment - http://www.retail-insider.com/2013/08/hazelton-lanes-to-renovate-for-luxury.html

Found this tidbit to be interesting as well, "Politis also mentioned that Empire Communities will be opening a presentation centre for 140 Yorkville in Dubai."

Hopefully that podium is a placeholder design. It looks incredibly bland.

Back