Toronto One Thirty Eight | 130.1m | 29s | Cityzen | BBB

Well put. A few years from now, I wonder if we won't look back on the early 10's as a particular cesspool of greed and cultural barbarism, symbolized of course by the election of Rob Ford as mayor.

Though I can see how some might feel that way re the existing structures that were incorporated into York Square--which are, in themselves, "unimportant" except as context-defining spolia, the raw existing built materials that were knitted into a whole. (And anyone who thinks that the preferred preservationist solution is to liberate that stuff from the Vidal Sassoon-y brick and portholes is truly Wrong-Way Corrigan re the issue at hand.)

How would you feel if York Square + spolia was preserved ... as spolia opima ... in the new building, as a sort of facade vivant?

Looks like another forgettable condo design. It doesn't even have the height to properly book end the Queen's Park view corridor. I'm not too impressed, thus far.

Core?

I like how it flares out toward the bottom, echoing its neighbour to the south, the old Four Seasons. A little bit of '70s chic seems fitting for Yorkvlle. I would like a little more than two floors of retail here though. It's a prime shopping location.

Not as bad as anticipated, but not exactly good, either.

I'm assuming that's an open-air passageway to Hazelton Lanes. You know, like what's there already, but without the charm.

The planning documents actually confirm that its designed by Zeidler. Anyways, it's great to nice a large amount of retail planned for the base. The one place where condo podium retail has thrived in this city would be Yorkville. My favorite detail is the inner pedestrian lane way that will lead into Hazelton lanes, a consistent feature of Yorkville that I've always liked.

I don't like anything about this building. It would be a huge mistake to allow this building to go up in Yorkville.

Ew. I don't get it.

The podium is uninteresting, and the tower has no relationship to it other than that the tower is also boring.

Last edited:
What's currently on this site? Someone earlier mentioned that this would eat away at the "low-rise charm of Yorkville." With all the other skyscrapers, why not this one. I dunno what to make of the design, but isn't this an area of the city that should see further intensification?

I won't miss what is currently on site now. Actually, I will miss Babalu's (good birthday memories), but a part from that - nothing more. I am actually very impressed with the rendering. I was hoping Empire would come up with a mess of a design, but this looks promising!

Goodbye!!!

babalu.jpg

To be blunt, it canyons Yorkville Avenue looking east from Avenue Road. Why do we want Yorkville Avenue canyoned? We definitely need to intensify in Yorkville- the southeast corner of Bay & Yorkville, Bay & Cumberland, etc. are prime examples of where it should be encouraged.

Here it should not and certainly not with this One Bloor meets Etobicoke Waterfront mishmash.

Back