Toronto 32 Camden | ?m | 12s | Sorbara | Core Architects

After three years in the works, it looks like its a go

32 CAMDEN ST
Condominium Approval 12 116484 STE 20 CD Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Feb 2, 2012 Application Submitted Feb 2, 2012 --- ---

Standard draft plan of condo application for new mixed use building 88 residential units and no underground parking - 12 Parking spaces at grade - See 10 164642 STE 20 SA for siteplan and 10 315822 BLD for the building permit

This has been under construction for a while... They are up to the 2nd floor, in fact.

Pic taken Feb 3, 2012

RZala.jpg

Cheaper that way, besides, in all fairness, the footprint is quite small. Would I buy in one of these? No! There's something ''re-assuring'' about a decent underground foundation with a garage and no mechanical elevators for cars.
But people seemingly will buy anything these days - narrower corridors, no garbage chute and smaller and smaller units called ''2 - bedroom''. Across the street at the original Camdenlofts, you have a decent underground garage, 700 ft sq is called a one-bedroom, and the building is rock solid.

^ On the topic of this perceived rock-solidity of the building you live in as opposed to the one this thread is about: isn't it more "rock solid" for a building to sit on the ground than on 2-3 levels of parking (air)?

This would depend on your understanding of "foundation'':
foun·da·tion   [foun-dey-shuhn]
noun
1.the basis or groundwork of anything
2.the natural or prepared ground or base on which some structure rests.
3.the lowest division of a building, wall, or the like, usually of masonry and partly or wholly below the surface of the ground.

Not to split hairs, but both types of ''foundations'' (with underground garage or just piles and no excavation) provide the platform for the building to sit on. In no situation sits the building '' on the ground''.
Now that we have cleared this up, we could discuss the merits of the various construction methods. Suffice it to say that in both cases the loads are transferred directly to soil of good bearing capacity, which is never at the top.

My point was that it's much cheaper not to build a garage and that I for one, feel more comfortable in a building which has a ''basement''. More than 80% of highrise RC buildings are built on basement stories. Basements also provide added safety and stability to seismic performance.
A good source of information might be: Design of Modern Highrise Reinforced Concrete Structures By Hiroyuki Aoyama.

Walked down this street again yesterday. Struck me how many lots and smaller buildings could be redeveloped--potential to add another 1-2000 units on this street easily imo.

It's a great street--maybe the best street to live on in the 'hood?

You never know--these tiny one bedroom units here could house some beautiful single ppl...future gf material? :D

Already looks amazing! That pattern on the facade is a winner in my books almost every time I see it.

Back