Toronto 31R Parliament Street | 165.8m | 49s | Cityscape | SHoP

370 CHERRY ST
Ward 28 - Tor & E.York District

To obtain an official plan ammendment and zoning by-law ammendment for the subject lands located at 31A Parliament St and 370A Cherry St to construct a 57 storey mixed use building containing 496 dwelling units and 661 below grade parking spaces in a below grade garage which will link with the newly approved "Ribbon Building" at 370 Cherry St (yet to be built).
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 14 174007 STE 28 OZ Jun 13, 2014 Under Review

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but does this mean they are planning a new 57 storey building, which would be connected to the Distillery District's "ribbon building"? Is this a new thing?

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but does this mean they are planning a new 57 storey building, which would be connected to the Distillery District's "ribbon building"? Is this a new thing?

Could this be related:confused:

Parliament St Data Centre (43A Parliament St s of Front, Bresler, 5s, WZMH)
The City now owns the First Parliament Site and a building permit was issued last week for the new data centre on the east side of Parliament Street (on the land given in exchange)..

Strange that the land in exchange gets a 5 storey data centre, when originally they were asking for a 57 storey tower....i think there is more than we know, and more density to come for the swap
2012-Nov-06,

you can see the Ribbon building on Slide 77 here
http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toro...ty_planning/files/pdf/presentation_5mar13.pdf

from aA's site
DIST%203.jpg

Based on AoD's link it's in the right foreground of this shot

DIST4.jpg

the area immediately west of the Ribbon building shows up as 31R Parliament on Toronto.ca

64986-53811.jpg

Last edited:
I'm familiar with the ribbon building, but I hadn't heard there would be a 57 storey tower attached or connected to it.
What I meant to say is: Is the 57 storey tower a new development or is it old news?

What would this mean, in terms of what Cityscape would be allowed or not allowed to build/demolish/convert? How would this affect their plans for the further development of the DD?
This (from City website) explains how HCDs work.

How does a Heritage Conservation District work?
Heritage Conservation Districts ensure that the significance and character of areas with cultural heritage value are protected and conserved in the long term by managing change to the resources within it. Proposed changes to the district are subject to a permit process under the Ontario Heritage Act (OHA). City staff will review permits in relation to the District Plan and may work with the community to ensure that alterations and new construction comply with the plan, fit in and support the character of the HCD.

The OHA empowers City Council to designate a defined area of the City as an HCD by municipal by-law. Property owners within an HCD who wish to alter their property or demolish a designated structure must obtain heritage permits. Once the designation by-law is in place, City Council will issue or refuse heritage permits for alterations and demolitions under section 42 of the OHA. For appropriate alterations to properties within an HCD, City Council has delegated authority for permit approvals to the Chief Planner.

The appropriateness of proposed changes will be weighed against the HCD Plan, the Official Plan, the Provincial Policy Statement, and the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada. HCD advisory committees will also be consulted where appropriate.

Although it is primarily the attributes and features that are visible from the public realm that are of most concern in the majority of HCDs, it is important to remember that under the OHA the entire property, except for the interior, is designated. Policies and guidelines should address how alterations and additions can be accommodated on a variety of property types within a district so that its character and values are maintained over time. The conservation of a district’s cultural heritage values and character can be achieved only by carefully managing appropriate change at the individual property level, as well as on the district scale.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 2.45.47 PM.jpg

From the Planning Rationale report, which I can't upload since it's too big. You can find it on the city's Development Status tracker

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 2.45.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 2.45.47 PM.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 4,043

Back