Toronto No. 31 Condos | 137.4m | 41s | Lanterra | Arquitectonica

All the above ground non-residential suite uses in the podium are because this is up against the railway viaduct. Is it really surprising to have bike storage up there because of that?

Damn. These guy keep getting more commissions here.

Which, 35 years ago, would have been welcome and interesting. Their tacky, production-factory status from the 90s onward is both a sad turn of events and a pretty clear embodiment of the current idea of 'architecture as commodity.'

From Ettore Sottsass on the set of Miami Vice to 'more-is-more, design-for-the-sake-of-design' nonsense in three decades. Too bad...

usuallly when there is above ground parking it is for public purposes - I believe the zoning by-law doesn't permit above ground parking unless it's public.

I don't know about that - Massey Tower, Cityplace Block 23, 501 Yonge have residential parking above grade

Certain exceptions are given sometimes - a rezoning or minor variance can allow it. Casa and Exhibit have above ground as well, as they are located on top of a subway line.

One note: Casa is not above the subway line, but it was but before we generally started allowing developers to cut back on the number of parking spaces built with Downtown condos.

All the above ground non-residential suite uses in the podium are because this is up against the railway viaduct. Is it really surprising to have bike storage up there because of that?

Why do cars get higher priority with ground level parking and bikes get tossed to top floor/hardest to reach place?

According to Google maps, this is a 6 minute walk from King Street, but only a 2 minute walk to Lake Shore, and 4 minutes to the current terminus of Queen's Quay East.

This proposal examplifies why the QQE streetcar could be really helpful. Given that King isn't so far from this site, it is not as though residents here would be stranded, but QQE would relieve the strain on the King route.

It's just a proposal and one I do not wish to breeze through rezoning.

Even Kirkor is better than this .... maybe not.

This would look good in Brickell, Miami where the architect started. Toronto is just light years head of Miami. Okay, we definitely have an advantage on geology.

Architectonica design beautiful skyscraper for Miami and this is what we get in Toronto
Why ugliest thing for Toronto ?
:(

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Their designs tend to be unrefined (i.e. street level) and leaning towards tacky instead of inventive. They may hit a single every now and then.

There's something about the brash clunkiness of the top that appeals to me… but I imagine we will see refinements before it's up.

Back