Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

If we're going to fill up everything within a 10 minute walk of Union Station with crappy Elements and Infinitys, we might as well keep the parking lots for now. The sites don't even need to be office buildings - they could be hotels or Metropoli or institutions or parks or anything.

so keep the residence out - nice

plenty of re-development opportunities for future office towers throughout the downtown so no need to get your panties in a knot just yet.

Don't you think its time to put the idea of a 9 to 5 CBD to pasture?

I don't care what goes on this site but I was seriously hoping that any project on the site would involve putting a proper shell around the hydro site and perhaps building something on top. Often hydro facilities are put underground or placed inside dummy facades. This hydro facility makes no effort to hide and sits right in the middle of downtown.

Build a parking garage over the hydro transformer?

58 floors here--maybe a Tridel flagship downtown? They have nothing to sell downtown at the moment (verve is practically sold out) so maybe that's what's going to happen: (Valet) Parking by Tridel. Where double car garages come standard with free tickets to see Transformers!

I'd love to see some gorgeous architecture on this site.

With those Transformers there's more than meets the eye (possible PCBs and electromagnetic fields). If you mess with the Transformers you also need to worry about Voltron.

Yeah, I'm scared of that. If I live right next to a transformer, will I be able to turn myself into a vehicle or something...

plenty of re-development opportunities for future office towers throughout the downtown

Re-development might just be the key to future office developments. Downtown is full of small, old buildings that could be demolished to make room for new towers.

We know they might build junk because Element and Infinity just went up in the area. I never said they would, and you know that. "Downtown" may have lots of redevelopment opportunities, but few of these sites are close to Union Station. Almost everyone here seems to think plain old condos are the best thing to put in the CBD near our central train station, so I won't bother trying to change your minds.

At this point, whatever "small, old buildings" are left might as well amount to 60s/70s office blocks--either that, or you're looking to obliterating "historical" strips like Front St E, the King W "Mirvish strip", etc...

Community consultation meeting held two weeks ago

The intial plans call for a 13 storey loft style building running east to west on the north part of the site which will "shield" the transformer yard (all residences faced south). The taller 58 storey building, more condo apartment style is on the south east corner in a square configuration. There will be a fairly significant public courtyard on the southwest corner.

We know they might build junk because Element and Infinity just went up in the area. I never said they would, and you know that. "Downtown" may have lots of redevelopment opportunities, but few of these sites are close to Union Station. Almost everyone here seems to think plain old condos are the best thing to put in the CBD near our central train station, so I won't bother trying to change your minds.
The Ritz is closer to Union Station than this site, should it have been offices? Front Street is all commercial as far as Blue Jays Way. There's nothing wrong with some residential to add variety. And what's so crappy about Element anyway?

Khatru... I've noticed a worrisome negativity in your recent posts... almost to the point of dementia.

Are you ok? Maybe a move downtown is just what the doctor ordered? (P.S. if you need a doctor let me know, I have lots of them).

Back