Toronto 300 Front Street West | 156.05m | 49s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Tridel has hired architect Rudy Wallman (who was formerly with architectsAlliance) and landscape architect Claude Cormier (Claude Cormier Architects Paysagistes Inc.) for the project.

The proposal will provide the community with a publically accessible open space along Front Street and wider setbacks along John Street to respond to the need to provide a high-quality pedestrian environment.

As reported by 'SpadinaBus' - The proposal includes a 58-storey residential tower with commercial uses at grade and a 13-storey single loaded section that ties into this building. The 13-storey element of the project is to be located in an east-west orientation along the north limit of the site against the hydro transformer station.

The proposed height is 183 metres.

Oooh, it looks like an early 1960's SOM building for Park Avenue with balconies. It could either go really well or end up really badly. The proportions are wonderful, though, especially from the east/west side.

Agreed -- this could be very interesting. It would certainly be one of the most slender towers around town.

300_Front_Street_West.JPG

I don't see a height to the tip indicated, but from my calculations/ruler it looks like the top portion is equivalent to another 4 floors in height, meaning this tower is 199.5m/654 ft.

An interesting design and I wonder who the architects are (its a Tridel project). (edit: I just saw Mike's post at the top. Sorry.)

I am not quite sure as to why the whole lot was not taken up by the project (it appears the southwest side will remain untouched by this project). I wonder if they were unable to secure, as owners, the whole space. Because of this, the configuration is a bit odd.

And it will be interesing to see what exactly overlooks the hydro transmitters. For both market reasons and health reasons, I cannot see residential units on the north side of the project. Interestingly, they did not propose a parking garage to overlook the transmitters.

I guess we'll see the results in about 5 years? Possible name for the condo marketers: the James Watt (tridel likes the James')

That transformer station has gotta go within the next decade--surely a major safety/health risk? (Keep the historic buildings of course; but build a 10 story parking garage with retail on the site? Hmm.

What do you mean the transformer station has got to go? You can build a building on top of it, but you can't very well move it unless you don't think Downtown will need electricity anymore.

Though -- to disagree with myself -- there are interesting alternatives in use in a couple places like superconducting cables that could potentially make it more practical to relocate transformer stations outside the downtown core. I don't really think it would be worth it in this case, though. Maybe to prevent a need for further expansion of the station.

Interesting that 20% of the units are proposed as 3 bedrooms and 3+.... Tridel seems to be the only large scale condo builder that is succeeding with larger units in many of their new developments.

Likely it is just a wall facing the transformer station, being one side of a residential hallway, with units on the other side facing south (into a courtyard along Front Street). Glad to see there wont be an above ground parking garage to hide units from the transformer station.
Looks good to me.

Back