Hamilton 2900 King Street East | 69.2m | 20s | Camarro Group | RAW Design

In siding with the city, tribunal member Tee Fung Ng likened the “massive” twin towers to “the highest mountains in an area of small hills,” with the tallest building’s 65-metre height more than four times the commercially zoned lot’s 14-metre limit.

The proposed towers are too close to the property line and their “sudden height, density, and scale” would overwhelm Battlefield park, views of the escarpment and the area’s landscape of low- and mid-rise buildings, Fung wrote in a May 3 ruling.

Oof. Second loss in as many weeks for UrbanSolutions.

The right decision here as it was at Winona Gardens, but still.

I would like to hear you elaborate on this take if you would.

I'm interested in why you feel this was the right decision here (I'm not disagreeing, just asking).

I would like to hear you elaborate on this take if you would.

I'm interested in why you feel this was the right decision here (I'm not disagreeing, just asking).
It's not nearly as big an offender as the Winona project, but it's a lot of density in a location which doesn't exactly have great walkability or transit. It would be better to focus density down along Highway 8, closer to the LRT and amenities within walking distance.

It's not nearly as big an offender as the Winona project, but it's a lot of density in a location which doesn't exactly have great walkability or transit. It would be better to focus density down along Highway 8, closer to the LRT and amenities within walking distance.

Not just that but reenactments happen of the battle of stoney creek every year and to see that rise up in the distance is not something that they would accept as fitting in with the character of it - the plot also contains the remains of loyalist soldiers in the cemetery and most likely some spill out into here - the city should probably just designate it as heritage and make it a park or something.

across the street father down there used to be a doctors office that burned down - when they went to rebuild it they discovered remains of soldiers and thus were not allowed to rebuild anything on the plot - this is a sensitive area.

Last edited:

Back