1.4 MB · Views: 1,785
  • IMAG0171[1].jpg
    IMAG0171[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,842
  • IMAG0172[1].jpg
    IMAG0172[1].jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,779
Last edited:
I contacted the city about this one. The city wanted retail along Davenport (and I think would continue to support that desire), but the developer did not think there was enough demand for it. There will be a community meeting in January.

I contacted the city about this one. The city wanted retail along Davenport (and I think would continue to support that desire), but the developer did not think there was enough demand for it. There will be a community meeting in January.
I think I will also email the city! Retail should definitely be a part of this development.

I can't imagine living in a townhouse that fronts this part of Davenport.

I think I will also email the city! Retail should definitely be a part of this development.

I can't imagine living in a townhouse that fronts this part of Davenport.

I live in a building that fronts this part of Davenport, and yes, the traffic is definitely out of control.

It would be great to have a major grocer in the base of this building- we have a shortage of affordable groceries up in here.

The area is intensifying. More retail will be needed and Davenport, below Dupont is a predominantly retail street. Retail at the street level is clearly the highest and best use. Why wouldn't they insist on it?

This is going to be another mistake like the U-Condos with those ridiculous townhouses on Bay St. Davenport is as busy a street and the proposal to line it with street-access townhouses. Why?
Could there not be a medium rise along Davenport with Street-level retail and leave the townhouses to Pears Street or access from the rear? This is not good planning.

This is going to be another mistake like the U-Condos with those ridiculous townhouses on Bay St. Davenport is as busy a street and the proposal to line it with street-access townhouses. Why?
Could there not be a medium rise along Davenport with Street-level retail and leave the townhouses to Pears Street or access from the rear? This is not good planning.

The good news at least is that the city is pushing for retail spaces along Davenport.

Exactly, see greenleaf's comment just up the page. The city wanted retail and the developer felt there was no demand. So at the very least the city is pushing for it, even if the developer feels it's a waste.

Oh there's definitely demand for it, especially when all the new residents of this project move in here. The developer is just trying to sell as many units as possible. Thankfully the city is looking out for neighbourhood interests as well.

From Joe Cressy's newsletter:

250 Davenport - Community Consultation Meeting

Date: Thursday February 18, 2016
Time: 6:30-8:30pm

I had hoped we learned a collective lesson not to plaster over brick in the 1970's, but alas, here we are making the same mistakes in 2016:

IMG_2146 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2146 copy.jpg
    IMG_2146 copy.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,133
That's happening to apartments all across the city, unfortunately. Is it mainly done to hide how filthy the bricks are on these buildings (especially lighter coloured brick)? These towers could all use a power washing to make them sparkle and look refreshed opposed to being plastered over or covered in corrugated aluminum siding.

Back