Toronto 245 Queen Street East | 94.3m | 25s | ONE Properties | Graziani + Corazza

Something like a modern version of the Distillery could work well. Highs and lows with tight floorplates vs. a sludgy mass that fills space and leaves little for the pedestrian. The latter, in fact, is what kind of scares me about the recent Bjarke plan for King Street: we're pretty sure that BIG can pull off such a scheme but what happens when the Kirkors, G+Cs and P+S's start their neanderthalic aping?

Something like a modern version of the Distillery could work well. Highs and lows with tight floorplates vs. a sludgy mass that fills space and leaves little for the pedestrian.

So much opportunity - there could be room for some really intimate public/quasi-public spaces and mid-block pathways, plus room for reinforcing the existing street wall on Richmond.

AoD

An intimate distillery type development would be great. Unfortunately, 1645 units doesn't give me that impression. I'm thinking more of another HP/WAM collaboration, Ice District in Edmonton, which is closer in form to the lifestyle mall developments in Burnaby.

On the other hand, given the alignment for RL, it is exactly what's appropriate.

AoD
you can achieve plenty of density without height. But agreed, we shouldn't be judging too much before we get details. given the unit count though I'm suspecting something more akin to 177 Front here.

Massive site for sure, they have almost 4 acres here it seems.

you can achieve plenty of density without height. But agreed, we shouldn't be judging too much before we get details.

Massive site for sure, they have almost 4 acres here it seems.

Sure you can, but that would be at the cost of taking and filling up an increasing amount of the site with floorspace. Not necessarily a great trade given the outcome in built form.

AoD

I love freedom of speech too. Can't wait to see the overall plans for this area. I've often thought that this area has some great old buildings that I hope will be refurbished.

Arquitectonica then

tjJpYbX.jpg

Would like to see at least one of the warehouses retained, particularly the white painted one. I think it would look nice in that pedestrian connection if cleaned up. As of now it's a bit too Miami.

Back