Toronto Lakeside Residences | 158m | 49s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

Surely they must be including the 39 storey building in that unit count as well

We can laugh all we want but something like that will probably get built in China or Dubai without anyone there blinking an eye

Then we'll laugh at them too. They are already building towers like this. At the very least, it would blend in in a typical Asian skyline. This junk would only stick out like a sore thumb in Toronto.

I'm actually a little impressed that it has street presence. Of course, it's take it a little too far. See the tunnel over one of the locally planned streets

It would be an interesting building, but this is the wrong site for it. It's essentially a gate that goes nowhere and points to nothing special. This site needed something deferential to more important places elsewhere- which is what the HPA project fulfills.

Would be spectacular as a standalone building directly on the waterfront though, IMO.

This junk would only stick out like a sore thumb in Toronto.

That kind of attitude is exactly what we need to smash if we want our city to become something better than an endless sea of glass boxes. Try to dream a little higher.

It's gratifying that this one developer was at least willing to talk to MAD Architects, who are way beyond what any local firms are doing here. Sure, it looks impractical, but why call it "junk "?

Do you actually like anything that is being planned and built in Toronto??

He's right. Toronto hasn't much that stands out - other than the CN tower.
What stands out in this city architecturally?

- The gold plated Royal Bank tower,
- City Hall was daring in its day,
- The curved/glass Hydro building on University was big news when it was built.
- The round Ice Towers were a refreshing change,
Is that it?

You have to admit our developers don't really take chances or make bold moves.
The Gehry Towers would be a welcome change - it would be nice to see something more daring than the standard box.

I think Toronto has plenty of smaller interesting buildings, and some decent examples at a larger level. TD centre stands out in a subtle way, the new Snøhetta designed Ryerson Student building, old city hall, concourse court north is beautiful, even L tower would be fine as a decent bit of architecture if the crane ever comes down. The new CIBC towers in Southcore are beautiful in my opinion, at least in renderings. 1 Bloor East is nice, 1 Bloor West looks like it will be quite nice.

But yes, overall we have large masses of very boring tall towers.

That kind of attitude is exactly what we need to smash if we want our city to become something better than an endless sea of glass boxes. Try to dream a little higher.

It's gratifying that this one developer was at least willing to talk to MAD Architects, who are way beyond what any local firms are doing here. Sure, it looks impractical, but why call it "junk "?

I demand better architecture and urban design. If the end result is a "sea of glass boxes" when viewed from Mississauga than so be it. Bland skyline and awesome city are about as common as awesome skyline and bland city. Which do you prefer?

I'm just calling it as I see it. It is junk. We just have a different opinion on a tube bent into an arch automatically being architectural excellence and above everything produced by local firms. Firms like Kirkor,etc. could easily come a rendering like this. It's not cutting edge. It's novelty like Emerald Park in NYCC.

Also, The developer didn't follow through with the design so having MAD draw something up is of zero consequence.

He's right. Toronto hasn't much that stands out - other than the CN tower.
What stands out in this city architecturally?

- The gold plated Royal Bank tower,
- City Hall was daring in its day,
- The curved/glass Hydro building on University was big news when it was built.
- The round Ice Towers were a refreshing change,
Is that it?

You have to admit our developers don't really take chances or make bold moves.
The Gehry Towers would be a welcome change - it would be nice to see something more daring than the standard box.

That's a list that's pretty narrowly focused on certain types of styles or architectural movements, and it also values a very specific type of expression (broadly, tourists taking pictures of buildings) over other important design elements (including, at the very least, how the people inside the building and those interacting with its exterior grade functions).

And even if you're focused solely on contemporary buildings of the last 10 or 15 years, there are even still some obvious additions (ROM crystal, OCAD stilts, One Bloor, Ryerson Student Centre to pick a few).

All that said, yes, of course, I'd like to see a MAD (and a bevy of others) have some more shots at breaking the mold a bit. But I think what folks on here so often miss is that you can desire that without decrying the current state of things or ignoring some of the successes.

The mold gets broken all the time. Toronto just happens to put up a ton of towers . There's nothing that get successfully built here that doesn't inspire replication and the eventual whining on UT how everything looks the same. Good design, however, will always be good design. MAD can do good stuff. Once again, my opinion, This isn't it.

upload_2017-9-12_12-54-40.png

upload_2017-9-12_12-55-4.png

upload_2017-9-12_12-55-58.png

upload_2017-9-12_12-56-11.png

upload_2017-9-12_12-56-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-12_12-54-40.png
    upload_2017-9-12_12-54-40.png
    899.5 KB · Views: 704
  • upload_2017-9-12_12-55-4.png
    upload_2017-9-12_12-55-4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 689