Toronto Hyatt Centric / The 203 Residences on Jarvis | 108.2m | 32s | Manga | Arcadis

This city doesn't need a W. We've got 1 Germain and another on the way, the Cosmo, the Pantages, the Hazelton, the Winsor Arms, 1 King West, plus the Thompson on Wellington assuming that gets built. Add to that the new Four Seasons, the Ritz, the Shangra La and there will be an enormous flood of high end hospitality suites on the market that this city has not shown an ability to absorb. It would be foolish, in my opinion, to attempt another trendy 4-star offering amidst that kind of hotel boom unless it was in a really stellar location.

what are you basing your judgment on? from all indications, Revpar has been on the rise, and so has room demand. Keep in mind that Downtown Toronto has been underserved for so many years. I say it's about time more rooms are added to the inventory.

The mayor was proud to kick off the next phase of the Waterfront with a new Super 8 Motel. The mayor and a number of councilors were on hard for the asphalt shoveling ceremony. Rob Ford states "finally an attraction for normal people and not Shangri-La or Madarin Oriental because the asians are already taking over far too much".

With a new Super 8 Hotel now open at Chinatown Centre, it seems like the Asians have already taken over Super 8.

Wow. How did I miss that happening? I am in Chinatown frequently and never noticed. One more hotel chain to remove from the missing list.

Now I've checked their website, and there's another one in Scarborough near Kingston and Markham. I never knew they even had locations outside of the United States.

Occupancy is the most important stat and 67% is not remotely high.

I have to disagree with you, again. The stats page you provide is for the overall toronto region for hotels that include economy, mid-rate and first-class properties in their survey. What you should be concerned with stats for downtown Toronto in the luxury segment. That is where Toronto lags and demand has been strong. No doubt Sars had a huge effect on the market in 2003-2004, and put a lot of projects on hold and depressed rates.

On another note, the King Eddy is rennovating their units. In fact, 3 floors have been completely gutted and are being refurbished.

It's Manga Hotels that have applied to build here - and it's a "Hampton Inn and Suites" that they propose to open here. Their website says opening January 2009 in fact. Very optimistic I'd say.

Manga is the same company that is building the "Element by Westin" and "Aloft by W" hotels on Front, and the Hilton Garden Inn out by the Airport right now. They are not responsible for the Hilton Garden Inn downtown.

They currently run a number of chain hotels across Ontario and beyond...

Oh, and here's the Hampton Inn rendering:

2340788461_10a0c52986.jpg

Back