Toronto The Whitney on Redpath | 69.19m | 21s | The Benvenuto Group | NEUF

I am guessing they received a lot of criticism in the public meeting?

I am happy with the density this proposal will bring to the neighbourhood.

The project is going to the OMB - the prehearing is set for Oct 17th.

Local residents not too pleased (I live in the area)

IMG_20160930_191903306.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160930_191903306.jpg
    IMG_20160930_191903306.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 468
The redesign is pretty good.

Two separate towers and a good portion of family-sized homes. With Eglinton PS nearby, this will be a good one for families.

In fairness, this development looks like a good height and density, but incredibly ugly (to me). Sadly I think the community is worried about the its size only, when they should be more focused (after the massing changes) on its appearance.

Well at least they're demanding "good development" instead of no development at all.

By "good" development they mean "financially unfeasible" development. This is a provincial Growth Centre. The battle has been lost.

In fairness, this development looks like a good height and density, but incredibly ugly (to me). Sadly I think the community is worried about the its size only, when they should be more focused (after the massing changes) on its appearance.

I don't mind the density but the form and height is not what I would say is good for a transitional site between towers on one side of the street and family homes on the other. Terracing mid rises would be a lot better than tall point towers.

Update:
A block south of Eglinton, and just west of Mount Pleasant, a high-rise development proposal is testing Toronto's city limits. While the site at Soudan and Brownlow is in the Midtown heart of the amalgamated city, the the two-tower project—now before the OMB—straddles the boundary between two very different contexts. To the north and west, a growing cluster of towers stretches all the way to what will soon be E Condos' 58-storey height peak at the corner of Yonge and Eglinton. To the south, single family homes extend down to Davsiville Avenue.

Well at least they're demanding "good development" instead of no development at all.

"Good Development"

This project calls for an unprecedented high number of 2 and 3 bedroom units. What is good development in Toronto if not that? These will be family-size units being built, for once in this condo boom cycle.

By "good" development they mean "financially unfeasible" development. This is a provincial Growth Centre. The battle has been lost.
Matlow called it a 'greedy proposal'. This is not at Yonge and Eglinton. This at Mt. Pleasant. It is not on a bus or LRT route. At 24 stories, it is still very high compared to the two stories across the street. I can understand how the homeowners are upset. Can't you?

Matlow called it a 'greedy proposal'. This is not at Yonge and Eglinton. This at Mt. Pleasant. It is not on a bus or LRT route.

What's all that construction going on a block north of the site? What are those really big vehicles full of people that drive by every 90 seconds?

At 24 stories, it is still very high compared to the two stories across the street. I can understand how the homeowners are upset. Can't you?

I can understand why they're upset. I just think it's better to responsibly build hundreds of primary rental homes than to keep a dozen homeowners happy. It's not like they'll be perpetually in the shadow of this development either - it's on the north side of the street, and right next to 18- and 21-storey buildings.

Last edited:
What's all that construction going on a block north of the site?
That's for several condominium projects that are located in or around Eglinton Ave. All those projects are located in apt neighbourhoods/mixed use zoning, and don't face a whole lot of opposition because any existing SFH is either north (Past Erskine) or south (at Soudan).

Then again, 30 Erskine is being prodded with a few hundred sticks by residents because of it being controversial that a 30 floor condo will go next to a elementary school, and the dev. wants some of the schools land for laying equipment/to use whilst building.

Personally, I'm okay with the density, but the height just feels a bit too much, especially if it's at the very corner of the existing apt neighbourhood. I'd be fine with a few less floors, perhaps down to 16 or 12, but something that gives respect to the lower densities of the well established neighbourhood south of the site. I'd like to see this condo take a nice step toward how Distinction Condos is, more midrise but still dense.

Back