Toronto Panda Condominiums | 107.59m | 30s | Lifetime | Turner Fleischer

Well the project goes back to council in November, so perhaps that's enough time for the developer to make changes that will satisfy KWT. Does anyone see that happening?

Well the project goes back to council in November, so perhaps that's enough time for the developer to make changes that will satisfy KWT. Does anyone see that happening?
No reason they could not study and address this (precedent-setting?) request in that amount of time. We're talking about the private sector here.

I haven't been keeping track of this proposal up until now, was this ever brought up in consultations?
Local councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam said that indicated the project wasn’t ready for approval, although Toronto planning staff were recommending that council do so.

“We’re not going to come to a conclusion — we’re not there right now,” said Wong-Tam. “People living with disability challenges have a different way of moving through the world. If I don’t like a condition I can just cross the street. For those actually restricted in mobility… if they are feeling confined to a unit, sky view, sunlight, quality of life is absolutely essential… I’m asking the planning staff to put onto this application an inclusive design, not just regarding the built form but the impact it will have around the neighbourhood.

Is it about access, or is it about skyview and sunlight? Sounds like she is conflating the issues. And why just this site and not others?

AoD

It seems to me the redevelopment of the Chelsea site and the 8 Elm proposal would be much more important. I walk by that rental building every single day; I don't see how anything happening on Edward could have an impact on it other than a possible loss of sunlight for southern exposure apartments.

I have mixed feel on it. I like the silliness of the name but, I don't like idea of what the name implies like no numbers ending in four. I hope this is a nod to something local from the past I don't know about.

I have mixed feel on it. I like the silliness of the name but, I don't like idea of what the name implies like no numbers ending in four. I hope this is a nod to something local from the past I don't know about.

It must be referring to the black and white motif, though Yin-Yang might be more appropriate. Or Tao Condos.

AoD

I don't understand what you don't like about it. What does it imply? The number four is often avoided in developments to appeal to Asian (Chinese) buyers. I suspect that the panda name is also an attempt at marketing to Chinese buyers. It sounds like a good idea to me.

You got it. I'm not a fan that it may be used to market to oversea Asian markets as it tends to throw market value out of whack.

I thought you were kidding. That's silly. But I dig it.

Retail tenant confirmed. ;)

pandaexpress_banner.jpg

I don't really see the connection between the end usage and the affects of international investors on a local market. It's not all bad but, it does make things less affordable.

Back