Toronto 2 St Thomas | 80.46m | 26s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

Judging by the render on the St Thomas hoarding, the facadectomy of one of the University Apartments has been kiboshed.

Anyone know if this is indeed the case?

Does anyone know the status of this one? Were they holding out for the Nuite Blanche exhibit or what? Sales center location?

They are in the registration phase. Website at http://www.thestthomas.com. I wouldn't expect that any consideration regarding the timing of this building's sales was given Nuit Blanche - it's only one night, and nobody would hold up their expensive plans for that. If they had needed the spot where the installation was on their property, it would have been relocated.

I can't help but be saddened by the loss of yet another row of charming Victorians being destroyed for another glass box.

Oct27-07001.jpg

Oct27-07009.jpg

Yes... They are very pretty.... but now we have photos to remember them by.

Luckily there are still a couple of other Victorians remaining in town...

...like the second largest stock of them on the continent, after Boston.

I'm sure if we try hard enough we can drop to third though.

Those are nice ones too... but architecture is disposable in this city as we all know. The neighbourhood will soon lose its charming old world feel.

Here it goes.....

As much as I love tower developments I agree with the sadness of seeing these houses go. Some effort should have been made to have kept them. And this will only add to the fire of rage my brother feels towards to the urban planning of this city and the continuing lost of structures like this.

He has really come to hate what the condo development stands for in this city when older buildings like this are casually torned down and replaced by towers. He's not going to like this at all.

Oh well......

There are empty lots in the city and they're destroying heritage buildings for this? It's funny though, we're replacing cookie cutter Victorian with a building that isn't very original either. At least it should make for a nice photo standing next to the Stern building. Given the area's association to Yorkville and the property values that come with that, one can't expect not to see condos replacing old charm. At least there are still examples of this style in the area, for example at St. Joseph and Queen's Park Circle.

To save these buildings they have to be discussed more. We have so many such examples, yet few are ever talked about (one of those the ones that is talked about is the Flatiron Building). I wonder if there is a guide on the best of the best of Victorian and Georgian architecture in Toronto.

Back