Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

Uptowner, feel free to use 'the City' with the c capitalized, no need for quotes, when you want to refer to the activity of our civic government, whether Council or the planning department, etc.: it will be understood by all as that's typical synecdochical use around here parts.

Last edited:
Short answer is without the OMB, no the building heights would not be as tall (but there would likely be another mechanism to ensure provincial policy is adhered to in the planning process)... longer answer would involve ward by ward local politics (i.e. Kyle Rae often pushed for taller buildings while Michael Walker would oppose anything and everything if more then a couple residents called to complain). Some buildings might lose a couple floors here and there, but others gain a few floors here and there through CofA applications. You've articulated disappointment that you perceive the planning department to be fighting against height, but I'd encourage you to follow a few ratepayer organization comments on other social media and they would articulate that they think the planning department is totally out of control in terms of what they are recommending for approval (i.e. they think developers are in control) - lots of different perspectives out there.

Thanks again for the thoughtful reply. I take your short answer as partial vindication of my perceptions, though it probably isn't quite as bad as I sometimes think. I do think things are moving in a good direction in this city I guess I will just always want more.

i42,

Advice noted. Thank you.

KingSett is very active I the city. Is Oxford involved in any major projects in Toronto these days? Convention centre seems dormant.

Kingsett provides capital to developers to buy property/finance construction usually for an equity position. They are not lowly developers like Greystone.

I want to add: it is rather sad that so much venture capital is being gobbled by real estate development in addition to resource exploration. It really doesn't bode well for the future of our nation when creativity and ingenuity loses.

Last edited:
Creative and intellectual ventures can be financed online/crowdfunded these days. It usually turns out better for the owners of said property than going the equity route where they are likely to get fleeced by the banks and lawyers.

Real Estate Development is capital intensive and it better suited to equity plays.

Assuming it's true that Oxford has "reportedly sold" 2 Bloor West and Cumberland Terrace to Kingsett and Greystone, wow, so many plans have come and gone for this property it's amazing. Kingsett now owns on the north side of Cumberland going east from Bay and will be better able to coordinate redevelopment of several properties in the area because of this move. I wonder how this will all shake out towers-wise.

I would be more than happy to wait a couple of years if meant getting a coupl eof buildings on the scale of the taller Four Seasons development nearby. Would do wonders for that stretch if done well.

Creative and intellectual ventures can be financed online/crowdfunded these days. It usually turns out better for the owners of said property than going the equity route where they are likely to get fleeced by the banks and lawyers.

Real Estate Development is capital intensive and it better suited to equity plays.

Online crowd funding? No. Banks gouging? Confused.

Too much equity in Canada is being tied up in real estate investment and development. That includes new homeowners.

Online crowd funding? No. Banks gouging? Confused.

Too much equity in Canada is being tied up in real estate investment and development. That includes new homeowners.

When you consider how much of your household income goes into putting a roof over you head, what do you expect? It's the same here as it is everywhere else.

The One set big precedent to the south. I wonder what height would eventually come to here.
Not as tall as The One. Jesse Ketchum School shadowing would probably limit its allowable profile as seen from that location (because shadows are well-known causes of cancer, or something). If I recall correctly, the Holt Renfrew project at 50 Bloor West was significantly shortened (from 277m down to 230m) for that reason.

Last edited:

Back