Toronto Spirits Condominiums | 93.9m | 28s | Cadillac Fairview | Hariri Pontarini

Armour

Member Bio
Reaction score
169 THE DONWAY W
Ward 25 - North York District

►View All Properties

The proposed mixed-use development contains two residential towers and grade related retail uses. The 34 and 39 storey towers will accommodate a total of 736 residential units. A total gross floor area of 58,761 m2 is proposed, including 55,774 m2 of residential gross floor area and 2,987 m2 of non-residential gross floor area. 1,154 underground parking spaces (828 residential spaces and 326 visitor/commercial spaces are proposed in addition to 565 bicycle parking spaces for residents, residential visitors and commercial uses.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
OPA & Rezoning 15 227717 NNY 25 OZ Sep 24, 2015

Contact Information

John Lyon
Senior Planner
(416) 395-7095
jlyon@toronto.ca

Last edited:
could this be the long rumoured Bjarke Ingels project at the Don Mills mall?
I was thinking the same thing, and certainly hope so. I know that that project was cancelled a couple of years ago, but it could have actually just been placed on hold for a later release? Whatever this is, these buildings will absolutely dwarf anything in the area. The tallest building in the vicinity is LivLofts (15s).

No idea if this is the rumoured BIG project, but what is "cancelled" in a case like that other than being put on the shelf at the time? If the developer later decides that the project would sell, they dust it off. More than likely though, anything that has been waiting a couple of years getting retuned to make it work for a changing market, and that can mean any number of changes.

It will be interesting to get the details on this!

No idea if this is the rumoured BIG project, but what is "cancelled" in a case like that other than being put on the shelf at the time? If the developer later decides that the project would sell, they dust it off. More than likely though, anything that has been waiting a couple of years getting retuned to make it work for a changing market, and that can mean any number of changes.

It will be interesting to get the details on this!

It was Westbank that was proposing a BIG project at Shops at Don Mills. Do you know which parcel of land they own(ed)?

What's interesting about this proposal is the amount of bicycle parking spaces (considering this is in the suburbs). Isn't that pretty unusual? That leads me to think that this could be a Westbank project, or some other urban-minded developer. Hopefully more details will emerge shortly.

Given the bend in the road here, it would be nice to have the architect take that undulation into consideration. This would be an ideal lot for Bjarke Ingels to work some magic, compared to the more square lots that have yet to be developed.

The city is upping bike parking requirements for buildings that get building permits issued after March of 2016, to the point that this building doesn't even meet zoning requirements with that amount of bike parking. It technically needs to provide 1 spot for every unit.

The amount of bike parking is expected to increase significantly in coming years in condos. Buildings constructed within zone "1", Victoria Park to the Humber River and the lake to Lawrence Avenue, are required to provide 1 spot for every unit, while buildings in zone "2", which includes the rest of the city, must provide 0.75 spots per unit.

http://www.toronto.ca/zoning/bylaw_amendments/ZBL_NewProvision_Chapter230.htm

That's ridiculous. Why should developers be forced to provide a bike parking spot for only 75% of the units in zone 2? Why should Etobicoke and Scarborough get a bye on this?

this building will be providing 0.76 spots per unit, and given that it is meters away from the border, I'm sure they will argue that it makes no sense to force them to provide 1.0 spots per unit while a building 100 metres away would only have to provide 0.75.

I contacted Jaye Robinson and she told me the developer is Bousfields and the architect is Hariri Pontarini.

I'd doubt Bousfields are the developer as they are a planning and design firm

Hariri Pontarini Architects

mixed-use development / master plan(continued)

602-620 King Street West, Toronto, ON 500,000 sq.ft., Residential + Retail + Office

The Grand Palace, Richmond Hill, ON 472,000 sq.ft., 520 units + Retail

The Donald, Toronto, ON
428,000 sq.ft., 428 units + Retail + Office

Don Mills Master Plan 1.4 Million sq. ft.

From page 3: http://www.hariripontarini.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/David_Pontarini_CV.pdf

Craig, have you been able to find out any information re this project? I contacted the planner, listed at the bottom of the first post, but he hasn't gotten back to me, several days later. I saw a caterpillar on site when I drove by about a week ago, but I couldn't see a development sign.

Back