Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

Nov 17
26738676869_bfc57f103b_b.jpg

24642234408_e5dd33d53e_b.jpg

26738674899_409cc94ab2_b.jpg

38482653582_bcc6484afc_b.jpg

Yeah, is this going to go up in steel?
I would say no since Brookfield is the only one doing steel these days.

One York was concrete if my brain is not a sleep. The ones to the north of this were concrete.

I'm curious, why are the office towers so much shorter in SOCO? While residential towers are reaching into the 50-storey range, the office buildings are all around the 30-storey range. The difference in floor height doesn't account for the separation.

I'm curious, why are the office towers so much shorter in SOCO? While residential towers are reaching into the 50-storey range, the office buildings are all around the 30-storey range. The difference in floor height doesn't account for the separation.

it's all supply & demand :)

I would say no since Brookfield is the only one doing steel these days.

One York was concrete if my brain is not a sleep. The ones to the north of this were concrete.
It was concrete.

IIRC the rebar in the concrete is made of steel, and Brookfield's steel framed towers have concrete cores. Either way, there is both steel and concrete.

UT

I have to say that individually these soco office slabs are quite sedating. But a whole shiny row of them, on facing sides of the streets, each with their little offsets here and there, and varying shades of gray provide a kind of muted, consistency of purpose--which could be deemed a kind of quiet or earnest elegance--at least to some strict modernist holdovers. Or is this just craven acceptance of corporate mediocrity at its worst?

It was concrete.

IIRC the rebar in the concrete is made of steel, and Brookfield's steel framed towers have concrete cores. Either way, there is both steel and concrete.

UT
There is a big different between concrete and steel building. Even though there is rebar in concrete, it still a concrete building. When using using steel, you have beams and columns with steel decking to support the mesh and concrete. You can have a concrete core or no concrete core.

At the same time there is a full steel building and a super thin steel building. A super thin steel building is made of beams and columns, but in place of beams supporting the slab, you have joist. In some cases you have joist truss in place of a supporting beam to support the joist.

By using joist, you can reduce the height between floors since all ducting and piping can run through the joist in place of under steel beams or through them that require reinforcement around the holes.

Or is this just craven acceptance of corporate mediocrity at its worst?

It's that, and I say that as a "modernist holdover." These couple blocks are sterile as hell in terms of contemporary built form, which is especially a shame given that the streets themselves are regularly some of the busiest and most lively in the city.

Contemporary built form in how it meets the street and interacts with its surroundings is a mixed bag with more disasters than successes. I'm quite satisfied with the built form of this CBD extension even if the architecture doesn't have any wow factor.

They may be shorter but, they are much bigger than their residential neighbours. There's way more prospective tenants that can anchor a 30 storey, a million and under square feet tower than a 50 storey with 1.5 plus million square feet.

There's a 35 storey residential tower being built above and under a fully occupied 18 storey office tower. I can't see anything in the way of vertical expansion should it become profitable.

Wow, so what was a wasteland 20 yrs ago, has only 1 parking lot left for development @ (30 Bay Street)
and 2 potential spaces @ (Harbour Weston Conference Center) + (200 Queens Quay Parking Garage)

Wow, so what was a wasteland 20 yrs ago, has only 1 parking lot left for development @ (30 Bay Street)
and 2 potential spaces @ (Harbour Weston Conference Center) + (200 Queens Quay Parking Garage)
Back in the early 90s I used to work at Citibank and my office overlooked all of the southcore and man was it a wasteland; how times have changed.

Back