Toronto 16 York | 154.83m | 32s | Cadillac Fairview | a—A

IMG_1025.JPG
The view on May 17 2017

Attachments

• IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 363
Interesting. I wonder if CF has had some interest and are moving forward on that basis. There are potentially big changes to the office market in the next few years and this, if what I've heard is true, is a serious gamble.

Interesting. I wonder if CF has had some interest and are moving forward on that basis. There are potentially big changes to the office market in the next few years and this, if what I've heard is true, is a serious gamble.

They announced some time ago that they're building on spec, so this isn't news. Demand is very strong, so there isn't much of a gamble here. You can read their rationale here:

https://www.bisnow.com/toronto/news...fairview-is-building-16-york-st-on-spec-71953

Technology has a proven boom bust track record. They are a key driving force behind the office boom. It's definitely a gamble if they don't have someone ready to sign on. What's the sudden rush otherwise? Unfortunately, we can only speculate on that answer.

Technology has a proven boom bust track record. They are a key driving force behind the office boom. It's definitely a gamble if they don't have someone ready to sign on. What's the sudden rush otherwise? Unfortunately, we can only speculate on that answer.

CF doesn't gamble. This was prompted by unusually strong demand. And as the article I linked above notes, CF has been talking to potential tenants.

Building on spec is gambling. Ask Ivanhoe about Eighth Avenue Place in Calgary. Similar situation back in 2006/07. Super high demand with many potential tenants. There were also a ton of competing proposals like in Toronto. They didn't land a tenant and the market ended up tanking. They lost.

Only Cadillac Fairview knows the degree of speculation here. They could have someone. All articles have a large degree of salt to them. They are for marketing rather than giving an informative update. The two don't always see eye to eye.

I'm well aware that it's a spec build - what I'm talking about is related to what could happen in the next couple of years to the office market as a whole.

Well I can't imagine that CF knows the office market as well as you do. Perhaps you should give them a call to let them know.

Doesn't mean they aren't infallible or their decisions can't be questioned. May as well shut down urbantoronto with that attitude.

Gee isn't this 3yrs from being complete??...lots of time to find an anchor tenant

As maestro indicated one only has to look to Calgary to see what can happen with spec builds. In Calgary buildings WITH tenants are opening basically empty.

Back