Toronto 159SW Condos | 118.87m | 36s | Alterra | Richmond Architects

Since I live and grew up in this area, most of the history fabric I knew for this area is gone, including the houses I live in.

As much I am in favour of retaining older section of the city, these building don't fit in. I have no problem having retail a grade for this development.

One thing I would like to see, is the replacement of the overhead hydro system put undergound for these new development. Will make the streets look cleaner as well less power out issues.

When one walks the various streets as well use transit on them, there are large areas that needs rebuilding when looking at the various buildings and homes during the travel on them.

Why do they "need to go"? They are decent old buildings that set a precedent for the urban scale of the podium and provide space for small- scale businesses to serve all those new condo dwellers... They also provide a bit of historic fabric for the area.

Completely agree.

I passed by here today and I really like this proposal, but wow, the property sure is small. 38 stories could be squeezed into a handsome slim tower but underground parking would be a nightmare for such a small parcel of land.

By the historic boundaries that pretty much would have been in Cabbagetown, no? At any rate, the area is already much better today than it was 5 years ago. The new construction has replaced a dirt field with moderately affluent residents, and now there's new businesses and services opening up nearby. Take a look on MLS, people are willing to buy in at that kind of price point.

38 stories could be squeezed into a handsome slim tower but underground parking would be a nightmare for such a small parcel of land.

According to AG's link, only 2 levels of underground parking will be created. Probably only a small portion of units will get access to parking. This seems to be a trend for buildings located close to the subway line.

Higher quality rendering for 159 Wellesley Street East posted by TheTorontoBlog, tipped by Urbanation:

http://thetorontoblog.com/2011/06/0...-former-gas-bar-site-at-wellesley-sherbourne/

welles.jpg

Corner condo: Another condo tower has been proposed for the northeast downtown residential neighbourhood at Wellesley & Sherbourne Streets. This latest development proposal — a 326-unit, 38 -storey building with street-level retail space and four levels of underground parking — would rise on the southwest corner of Wellesley and Sherbourne, the former site of a Beaver gas station and Baker’s Dozen donut shop. It would be similar in height to two recently-constructed condo towers right across the street: Verve, just one block west at the corner of Wellesley Street and Homewood Avenue, and 500 Sherbourne, one block north at the corner of Sherbourne Street and Lourdes Lane. The site sits kitty-corner to St James Town, a densely-populated neighbourhood with nearly 20 rental apartment highrise buildings, and is just two blocks west of the popular Cabbagetown residential district.

I really like the coloured windows. But call me cynical: I don't think they'l make it through to the finished product.

I really like the coloured windows. But call me cynical: I don't think they'l make it through to the finished product.

They're the signature element to this project. I don't think they'll get rid of them.

..My concern lies w/ the Green Aliens invading Sherbourne :s
They're taking human form! lol jks

Last edited:
They're the signature element to this project. I don't think they'll get rid of them.

..My concern lies w/ the Green Aliens invading Sherbourne :s
They're taking human form! lol jks

What's with this recent fascination over multicolored panels/windows on new condos? These architectural fads won't age well, think of the space age design trends on those 60's apts, they look absolutely hideous to the modern eye. even GG has done away with the color elements on X2. Good luck selling a unit with this many vision impairments. Just add a Lava lamp and shag carpet you'll have yourself a pretty groovy psychedelic swinging pad baby! Wow all the colors!!

Last edited:
What's with this recent fascination over multicolored panels/windows on new condos? These architectural fads won't age well, think of the space age design trends on those 60's apts, they look absolutely hideous to the modern eye. even GG has done away with the color elements on X2. Good luck selling a unit with this many vision impairments. Just add a Lava lamp and shag carpet you'll have yourself a pretty groovy psychedelic swinging pad baby! Wow all the colors!!

LMAO good point. I've seen a couple condo units on here w/ coloured glass panel windows, and I wans't sure I liked it.. although being an artsy person myself I wouldn't mind a nice reflection of colours against my wall (assuming I'd keep em white?).

On the subject of 60's Highrises.. I have to admit the whole Vaseline Towers complex is pretty sexy again!

Back