Toronto 12° / 12 Degrees Condos | 35.66m | 11s | BSäR Group | Core Architects

Agreed, for not saving this building. If for some reason he'd grown up in a refrigerator box on some desolate corner in the city, would we preserve that? I don't think so. This building is almost as architecturally underwhelming as a refrigerator box anyway, so hopefully discretion is exercised in the right manner regarding this development.

Well, I'm somewhat sympathetic to its urban-vernacularness. But not to the point of hyperactivity. And certainly not to the point of advocating a 1 Bedford/John Lyle Studio solution--which is really the reference point a lot of us are fearing...

Preserving this building is about recognizing that Frank Gehry grew up here in Toronto. He's probably the greatest architect of our time. If asked, he'd probably be modest and say that we shouldn't worry about it, but this is about keeping a physical reminder of the connection to Gehry, because these facts about are history have a way of slipping away.

Preserving the facade would be meaningless. Frank Gehry didn't design the facade; he lived in the home. You either preserve the house or nothing at all. The developers have invested in the architecture to win community support because they suspect it's going to be controversial and divisive. CORE's design could be built anywhere, but there's only one house like this.

Agreed. I've generally been an ardent supporter of demolishing infill that, though well aged, is of otherwise little historical or cultural significance. In fact, in other circumstances I would be leading the charge to knock this sucker down. All that being said, the fact is that when it comes to buildings of historical significance, not just architecturally, but culturally, Toronto is severely lacking. One of my most favourite things about walking around more storied towns like London, Paris, or New York is that every few blocks you could just stop at some non-descript apartment, cafe, or street corner and find out that this was the establishment where Sartre drank tea every afternoon or that was the house where Alfred Hitchcock was born. It was fascinating because it exemplified just how saturated with history these places are and just how much there is to explore and discover in the nookiest of cracks. It made me want to spend more time there.

Now, I don't revere Gehry as much as others do, but I recognize his cultural and historical significance. I can well imagine that in one or two hundred years from now, this house might be one of those little spots, perhaps not on the map, where more adventurous tourists will stop and exclaim in surprise, "oh, that's where Frank Gehry was raised... cool!" It's one those those little quirks that give a neighbourhood its own living personality and the ability to inspire reflection. Given just how little of this dimension exists in Toronto, I think we've got to take every opportunity we can to preserve it, no matter how cursory. Remember that once it's gone it's never, ever coming back. Decades from now, I would not want to regret destroying something irreplaceable, as so many others in this city's past have.

JBM in Globe Real Estate:

Architecture
A few degrees from the norm

John Bentley Mays
Published on Thursday, Apr. 22, 2010 7:27PM EDT
Last updated on Thursday, Apr. 22, 2010 7:28PM EDT

The Toronto phenomenon known as Queen Street West hatched about 30 years ago. It was at about 1980 that art galleries, boutiques for the stylishly alienated urban young and chic, cheap restaurants and bars began to appear on the old skid row along Queen west of University Avenue. Since that long-past day, of course, the commercial revival of the once-shabby shopping street has swept out to the threshold of Parkdale and beyond.

Residential real estate developers caught up with this surge in the 1990s, and they’ve been moving with the trend ever since – transforming sturdy warehouses and other industrial buildings into condominium stacks, and putting up new blocks of (mostly) small condos for a (mostly) kid-free, first-time market.

The bulk of this recent activity, however, has occurred far west of the Queen Street renewal’s birthplace between University and Spadina avenues. Developers and investors, it appears, have been daunted by high land prices there and, not least, by a vociferous citizens’ group mobilized to defend the neighbourhood’s dense Victorian fabric down to the last red brick.

Daunted until now, that is.

With the launch in the next few weeks of the condo project known as 12° – I’ll explain how it came by its curious name in a moment – this historic stretch of Queen Street will get its first important glimpse of inventive, high-density architectural modernism since the current Toronto real-estate boom began.

Designed by core architects for Tarek Sobhi and Tyler Hershberg, partners in the new development firm BSAR Group of Cos., the 11-storey building is slated to rise immediately north of the intersection of Queen and Beverley streets.

For the record, 12° will contain 90 units ranging in area from 450-square-foot studios to 1,700-square-foot suites with three bedrooms. The large sizes of top-end suites and the prices – from the mid-$300,000s for the smallest unit up to about $1-million – suggest that the block’s market will probably be somewhat older and more affluent than the usual Queen Street West home-buying crowd. The buyers will likely be people who have decided to retire downtown or, on the young end of the scale, people who have moved on, demographically speaking, beyond the singles’ club scene just south of Queen and are now high-earners rearing families.

In that regard, 12° promises to be yet another building, among a few other new residential projects in progress along Queen, with places for children. This is a step in the right direction, for until Queen Street and the rest of Toronto’s west-side core attract families, these areas will remain entertainment zones for tourists from suburbia. The project’s 10 three-bedroom units and 20 two-bedroom corner suites (the latter selling for about $550,000 each) are evidence that developers these days are betting at last on the willingness of some Torontonians, including the most well-off workers, to start families, rear children and grow old in inner-city apartments.

This variety of dwelling spaces is surely one of the attractive things about 12°. Another is the building’s jaunty overall composition.

The façade starts its climb to the 11th storey tamely enough, with five two-storey townhouses and a couple of condo levels laid out parallel to the street. Tall limestone piers or buttresses interrupt what would otherwise be a boring expanse of townhouse fronts and create a rhythm the architects believe will mimic that of the antique house-fronts up and down the street. I’m not convinced by this treatment. Something bolder and stronger was necessary at grade, and it hasn’t been delivered here.

Designing above this very modest foundation, however, the architects get their nerve back, dropping on the townhouses a glassy four-storey slab of condominiums smartly canted 12 degrees off the building’s north-south axis (hence the name). The structure corrects its orientation to the street over this gesture of urbane pizzazz, going upward in a sequence of great stacked blocks that are roofed with a terrace and seasonal swimming pool.

While such dramatic play with volumes is unusual in a residential design, it’s hardly out of place in a district that already sports Frank Gehry’s revised Art Gallery of Ontario and the soaring tabletop, by Will Alsop, of the Ontario College of Art and Design’s Sharp Centre. These precedents called for something out of the ordinary, whenever somebody got around to raising new condominium towers on the vivid stretch of Queen nearby. I’m not happy with what happens at street level but, in most other respects, core architects has met this architectural challenge with vision and verve.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/a-few-degrees-from-the-norm/article1543758/

AoD

You know, I've visited other "homes that X" lived in, and unless it was their primary residence when they died, there isn't much point of visiting it. It usually has nothing of x to justify being a destination. Think of the dozens of places in Havana that claim to be "Hemingway's favorite fish restaurant" or "Hemingway's favorite place to get pie-faced on Margaritas." I'm sure the man got drunk in many of them. But what does it matter? Now, they're just tourist traps, and it just seems tacky that all of the tour guides promote them.

Gehry lived there before 1947. What, aside from the interior configuration of walls (and even that might be doubtful), could remind us of Gehry inside the building?

Plastinating the former Gehry residence like Walker Court - with a big staircase spiralling out of the roof - might be an appropriately Big Hair statement for starters. It need not be common-or-garden facadism.

You know, I've visited other "homes that X" lived in, and unless it was their primary residence when they died, there isn't much point of visiting it. It usually has nothing of x to justify being a destination. Think of the dozens of places in Havana that claim to be "Hemingway's favorite fish restaurant" or "Hemingway's favorite place to get pie-faced on Margaritas." I'm sure the man got drunk in many of them. But what does it matter? Now, they're just tourist traps, and it just seems tacky that all of the tour guides promote them.

Gehry lived there before 1947. What, aside from the interior configuration of walls (and even that might be doubtful), could remind us of Gehry inside the building?

Yes, unless it is somehow worthy enough of museum treatment or of the type of treatment US suggests it is the story that is important and not necessarily the bricks and mortar... a historic plaque/marker may accomplish this just fine.

... yet looking at this one again there is definitely something very compelling to the idea that somebody born so humbly 'here' could achieve Bilbao, nevermind the AGO around the corner. Maybe it does provide more context to the life and career of Gehry than I first thought... and it certainly tells the story far more vividly than a marker would. Still, in Toronto condos prevail.

15-19BeverleySt.jpg

New renderings posted BuzzBuzzHome, for 12 Degrees.. Some attached...

I want to be sitting by that pool right now! My indoor condo pool doesn't seem to cut it anymore!

Attachments

• 12 Degrees - Pool.jpg
    12 Degrees - Pool.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 360
  • 12 Degrees - Terrace Amenity.jpg
    12 Degrees - Terrace Amenity.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 367
Although this location isn't really cool anymore. Maybe if you're an OCAD U student...which reminds me, who's going to OCAD student shows this weekend with me? (I sadly missed opening party last night.:()

This part of Queen West is dying, which is why I can see many more area buildings redeveloped into mid-rises. It's becoming a Yonge St c.1998. I think these views will be blocked eventually, probably sooner rather than later.

Back