Toronto Yonge and Scollard | 167.5m | 49s | Cityzen | KPMB

I think height should step down from 1 Yorkville but otherwise agree it's a good use of the site.

Or, they could slim down or step-back a slither from the upper half of the building - though the floor plate is already small as is so I doubt this would be a viable option. I have no problem with the height, but I find it top heavy. The bottom on the other hand is very eye pleasing.

Love. Love the density. Love the bowl (reminds me of the Chicago bean, which has become a tourist must-see - though I agree about seating in the surrounding parkette).

I like the bowl too... it also reminds me of the Chicago bean.... the base is reflective, no?

I see it as a work of public art, and not a parkette per se....

The bowl is amazing, some things should just be looked at, I like that the trees are not accessible. Why do we need benches everywhere? I'm sure people can sit in a bench across the street and look at this. The underside of the bowl is reflected so when you walk under it, it will be like looking up at Chicago's bean.
All sounds AMAZING to me. Think of it as sculpture/ art rather than a park.

I really like the tower, and I like the height but it is a bit top heave I would personally like to the top portion cut back from Yonge a bit so that the upper portion is more slender than the rest.

Some good ideas here and an elegant tower overall. It would take some pretty serious trusses to make that cantilever at Yonge Street work, though-- I'm almost certain the overhang will be dramatically reduced. I'd love to see it with some trusses at the interior of units expressed behind the glazing of the facade, or even in the shape of the windows and precast along the north elevation.

Not a fan of the bowl at all; What does it give back to us / the pedestrian realm other than a giant roadblock in the middle of the sidewalk - maybe it'd be a different story if it was usable in some way (stairs to get up?)

Stairs so that people can climb up, litter all over it and fall off? You wouldn't put stairs up to a Henry Moore. Why does this need to be functional? Imagine coming down Yonge street, with this tower, and the two at Yonge and Bloor acting as gates to downtown Toronto, and you see this mirrored floating orb island. That would be phenomenal. Our own lake Maligne. Spirit island. Put some seating it on the western edge.

Stairs so that people can climb up, litter all over it and fall off? You wouldn't put stairs up to a Henry Moore. Why does this need to be functional? Imagine coming down Yonge street, with this tower, and the two at Yonge and Bloor acting as gates to downtown Toronto, and you see this mirrored floating orb island. That would be phenomenal. Our own lake Maligne. Spirit island. Put some seating it on the western edge.

Seating / ability to walk underneath maybe, things like that would help. The reflectiveness reminds me of Chicago's bean but mind you that's in a park, not quite the same.

I'm with @stjames2queenwest on this, it's totally functional in that its reflectivity will mean that it functions as a local landmark. Designed by Martha Schwartz, who designed the Village of Yorkville Park, they'd have to keep it as well polished as Anish Kapoor's Cloud Gate in Chicago, but that would be the intention anyway: they're proposing the building and the park as a grand gateway to skyscrapery Downtown Toronto for people arriving from the middle heights of Midtown.

Regarding @taal's comment, no, this is not in a large park like Cloud Gate is, but it's still in a public square that its meant to dominate and animate as it reflects the passing traffic, both pedestrian and vehicular. I'm not sure how that siting would detract from it - the more crowded condition here may provide a more dramatic effect than the one experienced at "the bean".

Anyway, like I said in an earlier post, the City is going to tell them "don't tell us what you want to do with the public realm improvements, we'll tell you what's needed." The back-and-forth is just getting going on this one.

I couldn't care less about what the coverage is so long as there is a healthy number of 2 and 3 bedroom units. We'll see...

No, just no. The only thing that matters is does this proposal cast a shadow on Jesse Ketchum Park. :)

I like the design, its simple but elegant and the first thing that came to my mind when I looked at the tree thing- the spirit island in maligne lake- Jasper, Alberta

this will show my geeky side, but the sculpture reminds me of Laputa from "gulliver's travels"
perfect metaphor for the city of Toronto's planning, if anyone knows the book they are a nation who love to analyse all the data but fail to make any practical use of their knowledge.
it's also the perfect distraction to get everyone talking about the sculpture and not the density, which is working! (not that I have an issue with the density here)
latest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laputa

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-17_10-25-34.png
    upload_2016-6-17_10-25-34.png
    272.6 KB · Views: 336
No, just no. The only thing that matters is does this proposal cast a shadow on Jesse Ketchum Park. :)
The chances of casting a shadow on Jesse Ketchum Park from my view will be very little at best, if at all. Just have to measure the height of the building and compare it to the distance from the tower to the park to give you a quick look. It will be the summer shadow that has the best chance of causing any shadowing, with the winter having zero effect.

As for parking, I'm all for no parking since transit is about 5 minute walk away. Having a few spots for share use cars is great as well. It will mean lest time digging a hole to get the building above ground in a short time as well reduce the cost of building the underground infrastructure.

Back