Toronto 1 Eglinton East | 211.25m | 65s | Davpart | Hariri Pontarini

If companies were demanding office space in these areas, would developers not be attempting to create more office towers in these areas? I dunno. I just assumed that typically supply and demand was taken in to consideration.

Revised / simplified:

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,267
This always was a decorated box very similar to dozens of other decorated boxes in Toronto; a play on balconies with maybe an angle or curve thrown in for good measure. I think I actually prefer this latest drawing the most which isn't saying much.

The framed out balconies look completely out of place / disjointed from the rest of the "glassy" tower, that disjointed effect is largely created by the horizontal frame edge at the podium level (west façade) which divides the larger overall frame.

Two options could solve this:
- Add balconies to the office space levels (novel solution) for a uniform look within the big frame
- Use fritted glass on the residential balconies and use fritt on the lower half of the office windows to mirror the banding of the balconies.

Slowly moving towards glass box equilibrium.. just like all of Toronto condo developments.

What a slap in the face, especially for Yonge and Eg. Surely they could be bolder.

Definitely a bit of blandification going on there. I suppose it's inevitable. Still, I like that glassy base and its angles.

I suggest you direct your complaints to the City Planning Department, since they and the Design Review Panel are the ones who demanded the changes:

"Following a review of comments from Toronto's Planning Department and the City's Design Review Panel in particular, a revised proposal for a mixed-use tower at Yonge and Eglinton has been submitted to the City. The 65-storey 1 Eglinton East, designed by Hariri Pontarini Architects for Davpart, has been revised to address the many concerns raised since its late-2014 submission, and subsequent November 2015 re-submission which the Design Review Panel (DRP) critiqued in March 2016."

Back