Toronto Pinnacle One Yonge | 345.5m | 105s | Pinnacle | Hariri Pontarini

no one is forcing anyone to live on a higher floor than they are comfortable with. Lots of people enjoy it. Others don't, most people choose accordingly. Why does this confuse people? So what if people like balconies?
The things that worry some of you folks is laughable.

I can't speak for everyone, but my problem with the insistence on balconies in every unit is that it results in some really, really bad architecture. One of the reasons people like X/X2 is because they have recessed balconies. It's a sleeker, cleaner look. Unfortunately, they're the exception to the rule.

I'd take more floor space over a balcony any day. As things stand right now, the vast majority of new units are tiny floorplans with balconies. I would just like to be able to choose accordingly, as you said.

Last edited:
I can't speak for everyone, but my problem with the insistence on balconies in every unit is that it results in some really, really bad architecture. One of the reasons people like X/X2 is because they have recessed balconies. It's a sleeker, cleaner look. Unfortunately, they're the exception to the rule.

I'd take more floor space over a balcony any day. As things stand right now, the vast majority of new units are tiny floorplans with balconies. I would just like to be able to choose accordingly, as you said.

Your first point is exactly what Gehry was bemoaning—he felt the undying insistence on balconies hindered architects' freedom in design.

I live in a unit with a Juliet balcony (which I'd previously said I would never do as I viewed it as half-assed), and it's fine. I have more space within my apartment to use the 8 months of the year when a balcony would go unused and in the summer I just open the door and get a good breeze. No complaints.

Lived in a unit without a balcony and would never do it again.

Lived in a unit with a big balcony for 6 years and rarely had any use of it.
I guess it depends on what the balcony is facing. It is of little use to me because it faces some pretty noisy area, and in the summer, the outside ACs are very loud too. And there is no much view to see either.

Don't think GFA calcs include balcony areas, so if the tower is 750m2 already, then not having a balcony wouldn't make a difference to your interior area. Could be wrong tho

Last edited:
I'd be fine without a balcony if windows in modern buildings actually opened more than a crack.

If a deal is reached between the developer and the city ahead of the October-November OMB hearing, is it permissible for the developer to start marketing and selling units?

They can do this at any time. It's just an agreement with a deposit in good faith to buy the unit when the building is completed.

From the report (bolding mine):

Some of the key features contemplated for the Lower Yonge Precinct include: 13 towers; approximately 28,000 new residents and employees; a new community recreation centre; an elementary school; two child care facilities; affordable housing units; modifications to the Gardiner Expressway; a tunnel connection under the rail corridor; two new streets, enhanced cycling infrastructure and an extension of the PATH network.

Huh. Surely extending Church St down isn't worth the effort, much as many of us would like to see it done. Is this just like a "well, maybe one day" kind of thing?

Huh. Surely extending Church St down isn't worth the effort, much as many of us would like to see it done. Is this just like a "well, maybe one day" kind of thing?

Maybe PATH to Backstage?

From the report (bolding mine):

At the public meetings this was surprisingly popular as way to connect the new neighbourhood with St Lawrence. I don't think anyone sees it as a 'must have' and there was talk of a pedestrian/cycling connection only but I guess we will see. (There is already a 'plan' - or an idea - of extending the PATH east from Backstage to Market Street.)

Back