News   Apr 25, 2024
 81     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

TOBuilt

knew you had to be working on something but ,wow, this simply blows all else out of the water AND ITS FREE TO VIEW

Re: Re: TOBuilt

I am blown away by this undertaking. Fantastic work!

This should keep me up late for a few nights!

brilliant site!! Thank you for putting it together... you've done an outstanding job. I've literally spent many hours going through it and am really impressed. I especially like the clickable neighbourhood map feature.

I did notice one glitch: when I clicked on a neighbourhood with multiple pages of listings, it would start me out on the 2nd or 3rd page (as opposed to the first). Also, if I may suggest, it may be helpful for the user if your sources and "Additional images" links only be active if something exists (or perhaps include a cached counter that displays the number of sources or images next to the link).

wyliepoon said:

"I'm tempted to ask... is it possible to convert the site to a 'wiki'?"

interesting idea. Perhaps have it password protected so you can control who can change the contents. Building data changes so fast that it would be nearly impossible for one person to keep it up-to-date.

Anyway, a very exciting project. Congrats!

Thanks for the generous comments. seaqueue, your comments are appreciated and completely accurate.

I noticed that glitch myself, but I don't know yet how to fix it. What happens is that if you were previously browsing buildings and were on page 3, and you click a new neighbourhood, it puts you to page 3 (which is quite confusing).

I realize it would be helpful to have some indication of whether or not there are sources, additional images, etc., and this will happen, but it needs a bit of coding. There are other changes for that page that I intend to make as well.

I noticed that glitch myself, but I don't know yet how to fix it. What happens is that if you were previously browsing buildings and were on page 3, and you click a new neighbourhood, it puts you to page 3 (which is quite confusing).

I realize it would be helpful to have some indication of whether or not there are sources, additional images, etc., and this will happen, but it needs a bit of coding. There are other changes for that page that I intend to make as well.

let me know if you need some help. I'd be happy to provide it if time permits. I have experience building database driven websites.

Ah, I've been patiently waiting for you to release your research and database for us to see! Excellent job… very impressive site! I always had complete faith that the end result of your countless hours and hard work would be fantastic - and it has exceeded not only my, but I think everyone's expectations. Fabulous work, Bob!

I too will commend you for your hard work. Talk about comprehensive!

One question, though. Is there any way to tell if they are additional images without having to click "Click here to view more images" for each building?

SimplyDan, thank you. That's kind. I was sort of hoping you would call the site German, but that's OK.

cdl, check out the site now. It's done for the additional images. I will be improving the Building Details page as time goes on, that was one of the thing I knew needed doing quickly.

I'd be doing the same for sources, and adding companies, hopefully in the next week.

Don't forget all us little people who knew you before you were famous.

I must say, Archivistower, that TOBuilt is the best Toronto Building database that I have ever seen.

I have already spent hours perusing it, and will most likely spend many more. This site should absolutely be directly linked to urbantoronto.

I have now added links to companies associated with a building, so while looking at a Building Details you can click to view the architect or structural engineer or whatever. Again, you have to click to see if there's any data, I will fix that in the next few days so that it mirrors the images functionality.

For now, clicking the link may or may not yield companies. Still it's a bit more functionality.

Back