News   Apr 26, 2024
 342     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 907     1 

Timmins 19 December 2023

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Timmins is a very large town that is booming due to mining for the ev industry. It also seems to be a centre for the yoga/crystals/pampering industry! Lol And finally there is a really big East Indian presence. Hopefully the relaxation of zoning will encourage development in what is a decent downtown. Would love to see Nipissing/Boreal/Northern team up and build a shared facility in the core: theatre, dance studios, library, adult education and housing.
IMG_5872.jpeg
IMG_5873.jpeg
IMG_5874.jpeg
IMG_5878.jpeg
IMG_5879.jpeg
IMG_5880.jpeg
IMG_5881.jpeg
IMG_5882.jpeg

Thought that this was funny. When I say that my address is on Bloor West to someone when outside the city at a hotel I assume that they know exactly where it is and that it is a fun little neighbourhood. Guess not! Lol

IMG_5883.jpeg

Last edited:
Although there is likely some EV-related are rare earth exploration going on, the real king in the 'porcupine camp' is still gold. While Kidd Creek is on the backside of its reserves, there is still some base metal activity going on. One real recent surprise is the a large nickel deposit being proven near Kidd Creek. All spec at this stage of course but it being touted as potentially the second largest nickel deposit in the world.

It's been few years but the last time I rode into Timmins, I was stopped behind a Ferrari and thought that was rather indicative (of money, not necessarily good sense). One advantage existing communities have in the north is that new mines no longer create new townsites; the government won't allow it. Most development work now is contractors. That and creative shifts for operations mean that workers and their families along with support industries can locate in towns with services.

We recently moved to North Bay and I was surprised at the size of East Indian population here. Some are saying it is because of the university and college but I'm not convinced that is all of it.

There are quite a few new builds or renovations here. This is great as a mix of social services, business and housing. Across from the station and college. Taken 20 December.

IMG_5886.jpeg

The photo above beautifully illustrates the design sense and attention to detail that prevails in northern Ontario [sarcasm].

I'm allowed to be snarky because I grew up in Timmins.

The photo above beautifully illustrates the design sense and attention to detail that prevails in northern Ontario [sarcasm].

I'm allowed to be snarky because I grew up in Timmins.
You are right! What I was admiring is the mixed use and what seems to be a lot of building/renovation going on. Btw I almost stayed at the Senator Hotel but was saved and ended up at the Holiday Inn across the street! Lol

Although there is likely some EV-related are rare earth exploration going on, the real king in the 'porcupine camp' is still gold. While Kidd Creek is on the backside of its reserves, there is still some base metal activity going on. One real recent surprise is the a large nickel deposit being proven near Kidd Creek. All spec at this stage of course but it being touted as potentially the second largest nickel deposit in the world.

It's been few years but the last time I rode into Timmins, I was stopped behind a Ferrari and thought that was rather indicative (of money, not necessarily good sense). One advantage existing communities have in the north is that new mines no longer create new townsites; the government won't allow it. Most development work now is contractors. That and creative shifts for operations mean that workers and their families along with support industries can locate in towns with services.

We recently moved to North Bay and I was surprised at the size of East Indian population here. Some are saying it is because of the university and college but I'm not convinced that is all of it.
Timmins - it’s has been and is all about Gold. Since the turn of the century and continuing with several strong exploration projects well underway. This is hard rock country, and lithium is (for the main) a hard rock resource. This newer exploration activity is now a partner to current mining activities and promises to continue to strengthen the local economy. All good (especially with the arrival of that higher speed Northlander…..?)

As for the spread of newer immigrant populations. With due respect to all, the current influx of East Indian immigrants is the latest wave of immigration making a visible impact on the populations of smaller centres In Canada. And this is merely the latest of many waves - French, English, UEL. etc. etc. History concentrates immigration into Canada as four ‘waves’, so perhaps we are into the fifth now. All have been distinguished by language and physical differences, and on arrival, assimilation tensions. I think you and I have fond memories of our local Cochrane, Timmons, and North Bay Chinese Restaurants. Many of these date, through family connections, through historical periods into the 1920’s and 30’s - a time when the Chinese Head Tax was in place, and when outright immigration from China was banned. It has never been easy for new immigrants to this country and many lived in outright poverty trying to make a go of it farming on marginal lands I.e. Ontario cottage country, cutting timber, mining, railroading etc etc etc. Hopefully our latest wave will not come to think of working at Tim’s in the same way.

Back