Thompson Residences (Freed Developments) - Real Estate -

Can you provide some examples of newer condo buildings where the renters are beating down these buildings and in short term? I don't see evidence of this while walking through the area.

..walking through the area..??

I don't think the renters are hanginging about outside flinging mud at the side of the buildings and the odd rock through windows.
The elevators, hallways, and other common areas are usually the target for those that don't really give a damn, knowing they will be on their way once the lease is up.
Disagree perhaps? Cosider this. Would you really want to buy into a building that has a majority population of young renters?
Most people wouldn't.
Potential investors primary concerns are a steady income with a minimal capital expenditure. Potential homeowners want pride of ownership with like minded neighbours.
Agents will flock here with their investor clients. Reputable agents with clients looking for a place to call home will steer them elsewhere.

Last edited:
Can you provide some examples of newer condo buildings where the renters are beating down these buildings and in short term? I don't see evidence of this while walking through the area.

You don't see the evidence from the outside and I was making a rather generalized comment, in retrospect perhaps too generalized. But look to the Murano or Cityplace pages or Facebook sites and you'll see what I mean.

I agree that this is a great location to walk along during the day or evenings, but come nighttime - esp. Thurs-Sat night - it's just as bad as the ED and has all the 905ers you can shake a stick at, and the ages are young - think 18 and trashy. I see very few 905ers on Queen West. I've lived in the area for the past 5 years and welcome many of the changes and increased life but am worried that with the influx of new residences, whether it will lead to another clash b/t residential and clubs ala the ED. Better to nip it in the bud now.

Anyway, this is entirely off the topic and better placed under neighbourhood discussions.

You don't see the evidence from the outside and I was making a rather generalized comment, in retrospect perhaps too generalized. But look to the Murano or Cityplace pages or Facebook sites and you'll see what I mean.

I agree that this is a great location to walk along during the day or evenings, but come nighttime - esp. Thurs-Sat night - it's just as bad as the ED and has all the 905ers you can shake a stick at, and the ages are young - think 18 and trashy. I see very few 905ers on Queen West. I've lived in the area for the past 5 years and welcome many of the changes and increased life but am worried that with the influx of new residences, whether it will lead to another clash b/t residential and clubs ala the ED. Better to nip it in the bud now.

Anyway, this is entirely off the topic and better placed under neighbourhood discussions.

Murano's the new Cityplace? I hope not. I really don't see any "partying" going on on my floor (Murano). Most of the people here are students or young professionals, though. If you're an older individual, this is not the building for you. However, I do see families and older people here.

but come nighttime - esp. Thurs-Sat night - it's just as bad as the ED and has all the 905ers you can shake a stick at, and the ages are young - think 18 and trashy.
I just said the exact opposite two posts up and I'm certain that I'm correct based on first hand experience living in the area and walk between Bathurst and Spadina every single night. This is the yuppie crowd, not 905 students (although I understand that you may be much older than me and have difficulty distinguishing 18 year-olds from 28 year-olds). But in the end, I agree; there should be a moratorium on new clubs and bars.

Last edited:
Murano's the new Cityplace? I hope not. I really don't see any "partying" going on on my floor (Murano). Most of the people here are students or young professionals, though. If you're an older individual, this is not the building for you. However, I do see families and older people here.

When I was visiting someone there last month I was shocked at how it had not been respected by the residents. In the elevator area of the parking garages, it appeared as if half the building had decided to write messages with a sharpie all over the walls. And I'm not talking about some temporary wood in the elevator for moving - which was also written all over. Literally, the walls of the elevator waiting area were plastered in drunken writing that made it look like the Sneaky Dee's washroom. While I don't expect this to happen all over the building, this does not bode well for how the suites, hallways and other common areas will be treated in the future by the residients. There is clearly no "pride in ownership" amongst the majority of residents.

And to keep this on topic, I guess this is the worry of tailoring a building towards investors and renters. Not sure if this will be as much of a concern with the much higher rents in the Thompson Residences, due to the MUCH higher cost.

Last edited:
^Awesome. My Middle Eastern and Chinese friends will be interested in picking up several dozen units...to flip. :D

Should be $900/SF within 5 years, eh?

king west at this price point definitely not a place for investors (no middle eastern and chinese there)...liberty village $450/sf, now that's where all the investors are buying to flip!

Even when they say they've exceeded 70 or 80% sales target, developers take years to put shovel to the ground. When can we expect/anticipate construction to start on on this one?

RM

650 King West started construction almost 3 years after they started Sales. FashioHouse started sales almost 2 years ago we still do not have an exact date for the ground break. Honestly, I don't see Thompson Residences starting construction before summer 2012, and after that they will take 2 years and a half to finish the project. so maybe end of 2014.......

Last edited:

Back