Thinking of a 2 Bedroom Downtown Condo

Discussion in 'Looking To Buy' started by VeronicaLoria, May 12, 2010.

1. VeronicaLoria

VeronicaLoria New Member

Hello Everyone,

I've read the various posts with interest, and thought I'd put some questions of my own here.

I currently have roughly $106,400 set aside as a down payment.

My annual salary is $70,000

I would like to buy a 2 bedroom condo downtown, with a nice view, ideally in a building like the 25 Esplanade (Front & Yonge).

Question is, how much do you think I can get a mortgage with this sort of salary and down payment, and would it be enough to afford buying a 2 bedroom condo downtown ?. Do I need to stump up more as a down payment ?. Finally, because I'm new to all this, what taxes/fees would I need to factor in when buying a new place ?

Thanks in advance for any information you may have.

Kind Regards,
    Veronica

2. Karolina Armstrong

Karolina Armstrong New Member

Hi Veronica,

several factors will affect the price of the condo you want to purchase....do you need parking, do you want a newer building, balcony, high floor, ect.

Currently, newer 2 bedroom condos in the downtown area start at $325,000 with parking (they go down if you don't require a parking spot). If you are not set on being in a recently constructed building (>5 years), they start in the $280,000's. I am not a mortgage broker, but based on the large down payment you have and your annual income, it seems that purchasing a 2 bedroom condo downtown will be no problem. Also, here is a list of some expenses to factor in when purchasing: http://www.searchlocalcondos.com/condo-purchase-expenses

Contact me if you need more info. Would love to help in your search!
    Cheers,
    Karolina

3. Catapult

Catapult Active Member

I recently bought a new 680 sq ft 1 bdrm condo from plan for 300 plus 30k for parking. You're not going to get much of a 2 bdrm downtown for 325 with parking. I suggest you contact a mortgage broker. Your downpayment is great so that will help.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  4. GraphicMatt

GraphicMatt Looking forward to a FRESH START for Toronto

Yeah, I'd think you'd be looking more at ~400K for a decent two bedroom downtown. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'downtown', though.

5. cdr108

cdr108 Senior Member

you will be able to borrow anywhere from $280K to $350K, especially in the current environment of loose lending standards.
    ideally you shouldn't go to much more than $280K.

with your DP of $106K, your ideal budget will be around $390K - 400K ... but since you have a large DP, some will say you can purchase upto $500K - try not to overextend yourself.

from what i've seen older resale units seem to be going for ~$400 PSF;
    while newer condos just registered go for $500-600 PSF.

if you're looking at 25 Esplanade, be advised that parking is not available for sale if you want it.
    i think most residents there rent by the month from the lot next door.

6. neuhaus

neuhaus Senior Member

Also factor in taxes, closing costs, and monthly condo maintenance fees.

7. JayBee

JayBee Senior Member

don't spend up to what banks/brokers will tell you what you can afford.

8. kanon

kanon New Member

We won't be able to know how much you can borrow without knowing your debts.

It's also good to put down a minimum of 20% as downpayment so you don't have to pay additional premium.

9. GraceCondos

GraceCondos Active Member

This is half true. Everyone rents, but the lot is directly below and accessible via the elevator. I just wanted to clarify because the original post makes it sound like it's an outdoor lot next door.