News   Apr 16, 2024
 343     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     7 

Then and Now: Yonge/Dundas and area

Original intersection of Carlton and Yonge (looking east from Yonge) before alignment with College Street. (I thiiiiink that Church in the background burned down)
f1231_it0494.jpg

It didn't burn down, it still stands at Carlton + Jarvis...

It didn't burn down, it still stands at Carlton + Jarvis...

I thought about changing the wording, but I meant the church poking in from the side on the right. I guess more middle-fore ground than background.

Is that where this came from?
2678209035_5d35981130.jpg

I thought about changing the wording, but I meant the church poking in from the side on the right. I guess more middle-fore ground than background.

Is that where this came from?
2678209035_5d35981130.jpg

This was a through street off Yonge until that was built in about the early to mid-80's.

That's a nice arch but it's so randomly placed. Why would they place that right along the street? It should be a gateway to a park or square.

We often get people looking at old black and white pictures complaining about the "legacy" that we lost. This and some of the other pictures shows that most of what we lost was crap.

We often get people looking at old black and white pictures complaining about the "legacy" that we lost. This and some of the other pictures shows that most of what we lost was crap.

One person's crap is another person's lost treasure. I think a lot of this nostalgia comes from the fact that the architecture we have now often feels bland and artificial (at least to me). Having older buildings creates a more genuine experience. Someday people will probably bemoan the loss of the original Regent Park. The point is to create a balance between the old and the new.

It also is kind of neat to see the buildings we still have back in their heydey. Honestly, I never really think about how old a coffee time or a bank is until I see the structure in an old photo and go "Hey! I know that place!"

Yonge/Dundas and area

Many of you may have noted this, but the Rosticceria Tavern in this picture (originally posted by thedeepend) is now the Zanzibar.

Attachments

• s0574_fl0019_id49383.jpg
    s0574_fl0019_id49383.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 281
Lichee Gardens = MMMMMMM. Best breaded shrimp I've ever had, anywhere. I only vaguely remember the original location. After that they moved to the Atrium, right at the corner of Bay and Dundas (below grade) and remained there for many years. After that they moved to Eglinton, near Bathurst I think, then back downtown on University Ave near Dundas, and last I heard they had re-located to Thornhill. Might be worth the journey just to taste those breaded shrimp again...

Lichee Gardens = MMMMMMM. Best breaded shrimp I've ever had, anywhere. I only vaguely remember the original location..

Twas on Elizabeth street, west side, about 50 yards south of Dundas street west. A newer office building is there now. My jewish friends used to eat this dish; is it even kosher?:)

Back