News   Apr 15, 2024
 979     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 654     0 

The Toronto Islands

But he IS building his plan.
Rob Ford's most excellent plan had two links to the Toronto Islands. This has none. is this really his plan, or just something that was already in the works before Ford's greatness enlightened us?

From this article, from Mike Filey, in the Toronto Sun, at this link.

The history of the islands, pre-flood

There was this image.
1297973811491_ORIGINAL.jpg

Ward’s Island, now a thriving community with numerous year-round residences, actually began life as a “tent city” as seen in this rare 1911 view. These tents served as a kind of summer resort for the ordinary Torontonian and were a welcome getaway from the sweltering heat of the city across the bay. Incidentally, the ward of Ward’s Island was fisherman David Ward, one of the first people to settle in this part of what was still a peninsula.

Wondering if the former residential sections of the islands could be returned to be used as a camping site?
plan-of-toronto-islands.jpg

From spacing.ca at this link.

It is a shame, though honestly I think the time is ripe for a comprehensive rethink of the Islands.

AoD

I always thought the Toronto Islands could use a larger permanent population - at least another 1,500 full time residents. Then you'd have a large enough population to support some amenities, such as a convenience store, even an elementary school. I'd leave the current residential areas alone, but build a few low-rise apartment buildings - co-ops would be best to allow for a good mixed income, family-friendly community - and a boutique hotel near the Algonquin Island bridge/Rectory Cafe.

The idea of Centreville remains a good one, but the attraction is tired. The food concession contracts need to be opened up more, as well, to allow a variety of restaurants. Something like the Amsterdam Brew House would be great too.

I always thought the Toronto Islands could use a larger permanent population - at least another 1,500 full time residents. Then you'd have a large enough population to support some amenities, such as a convenience store, even an elementary school. I'd leave the current residential areas alone, but build a few low-rise apartment buildings - co-ops would be best to allow for a good mixed income, family-friendly community - and a boutique hotel near the Algonquin Island bridge/Rectory Cafe.

The idea of Centreville remains a good one, but the attraction is tired. The food concession contracts need to be opened up more, as well, to allow a variety of restaurants. Something like the Amsterdam Brew House would be great too.

Agree with the points - I think we need to have a framework to guide the (re)development before we think of the details - a bigger what goes where and how to link everything up exercise before drilling down to the finer details of design.

In general, I'd like more intense building development restricted to the ends of the island. Since the Island Airport will be at least a medium term use, it would be tougher to do it at that end - but in the meantime I'd love to see Hanlan used more intensively.

AoD

Last edited:
Personally, I'd rather see more nature on the islands. As the City becomes bigger, the ravines are ever busier and don't provide the respite from urbanity one might hope.

Nor is their over-taxation good for nature.

While greater benefit might be obtained from large-scale nature parks on the mainland, that's also prohibitively expensive.

The islands, in public ownership, offer one ready-made solution.

I hasten to add that given the current issue of flooding on the islands, developing near the shore is not practical at this time.

You would either need to revisit the grade of the entire land mass; or more practically dig new drainage channels and create new berms.

I wouldn't be opposed to other uses for portions of the islands, but given the challenges, that would have to be reviewed carefully for cost/value for money.

Naturalization (active) would be much cheaper.

I think the Islands could be become a proximal 'Stanley Park' for the City.

Down the road, assuming the demise of the airport (by no means a given). The notion of some form of link to islands of Ontario Place could be considered.

Though an wide opening for larger ships would still need to be maintained.

Some mixture of bridge, new man-made islands could be looked into.

This would allow for parking-based access w/Ontario Place Parking (preferably taking up much less room than today).

a larger permanent population - at least another 1,500 full time residents. Then you'd have a large enough population to support some amenities, such as a convenience store, even an elementary school.
You would need much more population than another 1500 to support a school. As well I believe the majority of the current population is beyond the child rearing stage. The current Island Natural Science School built some years ago at a cost of over 10M has plenty of room.

Personally, I'd rather see more nature on the islands. As the City becomes bigger, the ravines are ever busier and don't provide the respite from urbanity one might hope.
Nor is their over-taxation good for nature.
While greater benefit might be obtained from large-scale nature parks on the mainland, that's also prohibitively expensive.
The islands, in public ownership, offer one ready-made solution.
I hasten to add that given the current issue of flooding on the islands, developing near the shore is not practical at this time.
You would either need to revisit the grade of the entire land mass; or more practically dig new drainage channels and create new berms.
I wouldn't be opposed to other uses for portions of the islands, but given the challenges, that would have to be reviewed carefully for cost/value for money.
Naturalization (active) would be much cheaper.
I think the Islands could be become a proximal 'Stanley Park' for the City.

Down the road, assuming the demise of the airport (by no means a given). The notion of some form of link to islands of Ontario Place could be considered.
Though an wide opening for larger ships would still need to be maintained.
Some mixture of bridge, new man-made islands could be looked into.
This would allow for parking-based access w/Ontario Place Parking (preferably taking up much less room than today).

Have to differ a little on this - the Islands is already heavily cosmeticized and urbanized. What we create isn't nature - but an simulacra of it. Nothing wrong with that, but it's artifice - and I am generally not all that inclined to prevent the artificial from intruding on what is already unreal.

Flooding is a technical issue that can be mitigated through architecture instead of more intensive grade changes - but you are right that we need to be smart however we approach this.

AoD

Back