News   Apr 24, 2024
 1     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 227     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 538     0 

The Star: Is it closing time for the Matador?

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
John Goddard
staff reporter

The city of Toronto is taking steps to turn the storied Matador Club – after-hours honky-tonk to waiters, rounders and Hollywood stars – into a parking lot.

Co-owner Ann Dunn has rejected the city's $800,000 purchase offer, saying, "I've paid more than twice that in taxes over the past 43 years."

City officials say they will make another offer and, if agreement cannot be reached, recommend to city council next month that the land be expropriated.

"We've identified that area as high-demand (for parking)," Toronto Parking Authority president Gwyn Thomas said this week.

Levelling the Matador would create a 20-space lot, he said, handy for people using the West End YMCA at 931 College St., kitty-corner to the club at 466 Dovercourt Rd.

In its heyday, prior to anti-smoking bylaws, the Matador teemed most weekends with musicians, bar servers, bikers, late-night revellers and other night owls who appreciate casual house rules in a down-home setting.

It remains open every Friday and Saturday night from 1a.m., but co-owners Ann Dunn and her daughter Charmaine Dunn no longer run it themselves.

"Yes, we're ready to sell," said Ann Dunn, 79. "Charmaine just wants peace and quiet, and so do I."

But not sell at any price, the elder Dunn said.

The lot represents prime downtown real estate zoned for a three-storey building – perfect for a boutique condominium development. It can only appreciate over time.

"I used to sell real estate," she said.

The Matador was built as a dance hall during World War I and was being used as a bowling alley when the Dunns, mother and daughter, first saw it in 1964.

They bought the building, stripped it to its original hardwood floor and redesigned it as a country music hangout for the after-hours crowd.

"Harrison Ford loved the place," Ann Dunn recalled this week of one of many actors who discovered the Matador over the years.

"He showed up the first time with a bunch of groupies and I stopped him. I said, `You can't come in.' I didn't know who he was and I thought he was tagging along with the others, who I'd already let through.

"They said, `That's Harrison Ford.'

"I said, `Well, who's Harrison Ford?' They said, `Indiana Jones.'

"I said, `Oh, I love Indiana Jones' – and I let him in."
____

It's unfortunate that the city is intending on a vigorous pursuit of a club with such a colourful past. There is that bizarre aspect is, of course, the plans to put in a parking lot of 20 spaces. But while blogTO made a link to the city's budget problems, it's hardly definite. This Toronto Star article was the only professional coverage I could find, and it's a broad overview. So what is going on here? Could it be conflicts with neighbours? Or is the club simply empty these days?

I thought the TPA was supposed to serve neighbourhood businesses with its lots, not demolish them. Who knows if they will be able to find someone to operate the place as is, but whatever they do with it is surely better than a parking lot.

How many nights did I spend here? Too many to remember. The guy in the corner selling mickey's of booze after hours made a fortune off of me. Please leave it alone

^I agree, leave it alone! I find it hard to believe they couldn't find a buyer who'd continue running it as a club.

How ironic that the city is encourging private automobile use by upping the parking inventory in the area. What a joke. A location that's served by the College streetcar, or a walk down from Ossington station. I thought we were supposed to be a city going green, led by our magnificent municipal government?? Talk about mixed messages.

How ironic that the city is encourging private automobile use by upping the parking inventory in the area. What a joke. A location that's served by the College streetcar, or a walk down from Ossington station. I thought we were supposed to be a city going green, led by our magnificent municipal government?? Talk about mixed messages.
Build the infrastructure the people want. a huge number of us choose to drive cars. If you want people from out of town to visit, you need to have some place for them to park.

i've been there once. i thought the place was kind of cool.

what a shame.

Build the infrastructure the people want. a huge number of us choose to drive cars. If you want people from out of town to visit, you need to have some place for them to park.

They can park at Kipling and take the subway. This is a lousy spot for a parking lot, and if I remember the size of the lot correctly it wouldn't even be that big.

I find it hard to believe this is an area that tourists are flocking to. I figure the neighbours are tired of drunk people stumbling out at all hours of the night and this is an easy, but costly, way for the city to close the place down.

It must not be that great if the current owners care to sell the storied business (for the right price) to someone who will tear it down. It's not a costly way to bring it down though, they can keep the lot and make money off parking for years, and eventually sell for a lot more to some developer once the next boom arrives. Also, it's not that this is a tourist draw, but people do come to the city to spend time with friends and family, often by car. Condos these days have parking for 60% of the units, so where are those visitors going to park (or cases where you only get the space on the street that you pay for). That's a general issue.

The building isn't very interesting architecturally, there are houses on one side, and a parking lot on the other side. This isn't right at the intersection, so it's not going to ruin College. Here are some photos from Virtual City:
M0317737.JPEG
M0317738.JPEG
M0317739.JPEG

Why they're not interested in the existing parking is an interesting matter.

what a waste for 20 stalls, its pointless to demolish a building for 20 stalls for parking, it makes more sense to build a parkade if Toronto is that hard up for parking.

I'm a driver, too. But this is ridiculous - to tear down a building in a fully-serviced neighbourhood to build a parking lot? This ain't Whitby we're talking about here. Plus do you think a ton of out-of-town tourists rent cars when they're here to toot around from downtown neighbourhood to downtown neighbourhood?

More on the idiocy of this city at times:

43 years of history vs. 20 parking spots
Sep 26, 2007 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume
URBAN AFFAIRS COLUMNIST

The gap between what the city does and what it says is growing wider.

That became clear recently when we heard that Toronto wants to buy the legendary Matador Club and tear it down to make way for a parking lot. A parking lot! A parking lot!

No, we're not making this up.

This is in the city that likes to pass itself off as the greenest on the continent. As if.

To add insult to injury – or should that be lunacy to idiocy – we also heard that if the owners of the 43-year-old club aren't prepared to sell their land to the city for $800,000, it will consider expropriation.

Truly, Toronto has lost its way. Truly, whatever our aspirations may be as a civic entity, they are fast being undone by a bureaucracy so out of touch with reality it's frightening. And where are the councillors in all this? Does their silence signal agreement? Creeping suburbanization is one thing, but this is neanderthal.

And as if all this isn't madness enough – expropriating an important site at the corner of College St. and Dovercourt Rd. – the city's intention is to create a 20-unit parking lot to service the West End YMCA across the road.

The YMCA, no less, a place where people go to exercise, swim, play and generally engage in healthy activities.

"We've identified that area as high demand (for parking)," Toronto Parking Authority president Gwyn Thomas told the Star last week.

Maybe someone ought to tell guileless Gwyn that the 1950s are over. Oh, and while they're at it perhaps they could let Mr. TPA in on something else he may not have heard about – a little thing called global warming. Yep, that's right, Gwyn, and it's a big problem everywhere else, if not here. Around the world, cities are actually taking steps to get people out of their cars and onto public transit, bikes, their feet, whatever.

But thanks to people like you, Gwyn, that won't happen here in Toronto. This is a city that invites you to hop into the family vehicle and drive on downtown for a workout. God forbid anyone should have to take the streetcar, which goes to the front door of the YMCA, or the bus, or that they should be forced to cycle, or, worst of all, walk.

No sir, for us it's the car or nothing.

Some cities, far, far away from Toronto, impose a fee on those who drive in the city. You and your colleagues may not have heard of them, Gwyn, but they include London, Stockholm and Singapore. In other cities, parking is viewed as a means to control car use. These cities set parking rates high enough to make people think twice about driving downtown.

Not here in Merry Olde Toronto, where we're only too happy to expropriate and knock down a historic building to oblige the needs of those who must drive, even if it's only 20 of them. Heritage shmeritage.

As for the development potential of the site, well, there's lots more where that came from.

Send the wrong message? Who cares about that? Sure this would be considered outrageous in many cities, but this is Toronto. In some cities, parking lots are viewed as a lower order of land use than a building. Indeed, some jurisdictions see parking lots as a way of creating a land inventory for future development. Here, where the city is willing to demolish buildings to make way for parking, we do it the other way around.

So welcome to Toronto, a little behind the times, but a great place to park.

Back