The "School District" question | Page 9

Discussion in 'Real Estate General Discussions' started by mjl08, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Senior Member

I remember it well. Pulling my kids out of Winchester was one of my smartest moves as a parent. One of my kids has now graduated from FI in the Beaches and is at Riverdale Collegiate in the FI program, with the other kid to follow. Riverdale is a fantastic school, with no mid-entry, meaning that the kids you start with in Grade 9 are the same kids you graduate with, no exceptions. The benefit is you get a family-like community, and Riverdale has in an academically focused demographic, with the added benefit of an excellent music and extracurriculars.

And I never had to sell my home in my favourite neighbourhood, move or fib.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

2. Bernoulli

Bernoulli New Member

I didn't know that Riverdale had FI. My child goes to FI in the Riverdale system but after Earl Grey middle school, we have to go to Malvern in the Beach for high school.

ETA: I just realized that Riverdale is a pathway for grade 4 and 7 FI entry but not for SK FI entry. There are now too many kids in the SK entry in east Toronto to be accommodated at Malvern - I think they're going to have to do something about this within the next 5 years, imo. I keep hearing EY Collegiate but nothing seems to be happening.

3. Admiral Beez

My wife and I went to Malvern CI in the late 1980s, so did my mother in the 60s. It's a good school too.

4. mjl08

mjl08 Senior Member

5. Bernoulli

Bernoulli New Member

This writer is working on his PhD in educational policy and seems to be anti- a few things such as FI and standardized testing.

I have my child enrolled in French Immersion but I have no expectations that she graduate from high school in FI. I just want her to have an early introduction to second language and an additional challenge in school. Personally, I took core French in school through grade 12 and cannot speak a sentence even though I received good grades (in the mid-80s) and with FI, my elementary-aged child can actually speak French. I don't think it a failure of the system that not everyone graduates from FI and I don't think you can measure success this way.

Regarding subject matter gaps - this statement confuses me as doesn't the FI curriculum cover the same subject matter as the English curriculum? I guess they're talking about the quality of the teachers? Our experience with the FI teachers has been quite good but maybe it's not in some areas of the province.

I do agree there is streaming even though in the TDSB every students has the option of attending FI. However, there are grade 4 and grade 7 entry points for kids who don't enter in SK.

We do have to bus (past two other FI schools) to get to our designated FI school but the TDSB didn't guarantee we could go to a school in our neighbourhood. The length of the bus route was an issue for some parents in our neighbourhood as the kids that get on near the beginning are on the bus for a long time (it was close to an hour at one point).

6. Admiral Beez