News   Jun 19, 2024
 2.7K     4 
News   Jun 19, 2024
 628     0 

The Renaissance of Downtown Kitchener

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
It has been a while since I posted a full photo thread, but I spent a day last week wandering around Kitchener-Waterloo by foot and bus. I am really impressed with some of the stuff going on in Downtown Kitchener. Here's some highlights from the photos I took (many more are on Flickr).

Kitchener, despite some unfortunate demolitions in recent years (the Forsythe Factory on King Street near City Hall, for example) has recently become a leader in the preservation and repurposing of its old building stock. I was pleasantly surprised to see an old furniture factory by the railway remain in use as a furniture factory.

Krug Furniture:

4908679899_2507b2df8f_b.jpg

4908680351_cd8f1c2773_b.jpg

An earlier, trackside view:
4110664339_453f24cd4b_b.jpg

A nearby factory, Dominion Rubber, which is slated for re-development into commercial and small industrial lofts called the Breithaupt Block.

4909271652_e634917015_b.jpg

4909272456_0a68a087e6_b.jpg

An old Electrohome Plant between the two subdivided, but worthy of re-use:

4909273796_1629860e9b_b.jpg

The Lang Tannery has been renovated and turned into the "Tannery District" - commercial and industrial units, including some retail, including a new Balzac's Coffee.

4917616249_42bdd5a20a_b.jpg

4918219512_604932576d_b.jpg

The Arrow Shirts factory on Benson has been gutted, and is being converted into a loft condo development, with a few additional floors added.

4917607933_286c5f6f99_b.jpg

I just discovered the "Bread and Roses" residential buildings at Queen and Courtland, also a former industrial building.

4917609407_6ff5e345ce_b.jpg

And of course, there's the excellent Kaufman Lofts, once a boot factory (designed by one of my favourite architects, Albert Kahn of Detroit fame)

4918220654_f8025e61f1_b.jpg

4917621163_377504b730_b.jpg

The Eaton's Lofts are in an old Eaton's Store (Eaton's moved into the misguided Market Square downtown mall before closing in 1997)

4917621607_9a59988cf2_b.jpg

Then there's the University of Waterloo's Pharmacy Buildings:

4918220182_b8697dd6a1_b.jpg

4918219070_c3728b12cf_b.jpg

King Street has been under construction for a while now, but the streetscape is better. Here's one case where the metallic, rather than faux-historic black street furniture works and works well together, being consistent and even matching the new sidewalks. The bollards, bike racks, light poles, garbage bins, tree cages and bus shelters all match. It's all designed, it appears to slow traffic down along King, and it does feel more pedestrian friendly, without being totally restrictive to auto traffic.

4918138554_f2bd5f2a81_b.jpg

4917538271_d36660608d_b.jpg

4917537771_3b324f3759_b.jpg

In front of City Hall. The newest Waterloo Region traffic lights are now the Hamilton-style black-and-yellow variety (also newly embraced by Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie and Brantford), a design I prefer over all-yellow lights.

4917536801_2e33f78e8e_b.jpg

A few assorted Downtown shots:

I really like this Scotiabank branch:

4917539131_af99a4245d_b.jpg

Victoria Park:

4917610619_daa2956be4_b.jpg

4918211876_b5ed331b9b_b.jpg

The clock tower was rescued from the demolition of the old Berlin/Kitchener City Hall, and placed at the main entrance to the park in the 1980s. It has become the civic logo of the city.

4917615835_bf3ff1d4dd_z.jpg

GREAT PICS!

Excellent update Shon Tron!

Too many wonderful things to comment on........

So I'll stick to the two that caught my eye as odd or negative.

Negative, Eaton Lofts......the upper 2 floors work.........the ground floor looks wrong.

Odd, whats with VIA have a 2-car consist?

I moved from Kitchener/Waterloo this summer to the Etobicoke area and all I have to say is that looking at these pictures made me want to go back a lot. I also admired the Kauffman lofts and I am looking forward to the new projects that are currently being done in downtown Kitchener! Thank you

There's a lot of progress being made in the Kitchener/Waterloo area, from the King Street streetscape to all those fine industrial conversions. Too bad about those ugly traffic signals that are ubiquitous in Ontario; compact signals mounted on the vertical poles look so much better in historic urban areas.

Ugh. I hated K-W. So suburban minded. Even downtown Kitchener is just a giant parking lot.

what a nasty attitude! I lived in KW from 94-02 and while it certainly doesnt have the level of urbanity of Toronto (and how could it at 1/10th the size), the photos above show some good dedication to preserving heritage buildings and creating a much more vibrant main street. It's a work in progress and things are off to a very good start over the last decade. I was quite impressed by the transformation of King St in downtown Kitchener when I first saw it... caters much more to the pedestrians now! This is a great example for other Ontario cities to follow...

Don't argue with logic, just let urbandreamer be his pretentious self. He has to show a tough, anti-KW on this website, at the very least, it seems.

Last edited:
Great pictures ShonTron, just imagine how much quicker the urbanization would occur in Kitchener if the King street LRT were to be implemented. I get the feeling that K-W is going to be quite the region in a matter of 20 years.

Those Kaufman lofts are gorgeous! And the Scotiabank is slick.

KW is pretty sleepy - the only gay bar in town is kinda sad. And it does have way too many parking lots.

But KW, Guelph and the Hammer are going to do well in the next few years as satellite cities of Toronto, particularly if they finally get the Go Train going there. They all have their own distinct vibes to them. I'd prefer to live in KW then, say, Brampton.

KW is pretty sleepy - the only gay bar in town is kinda sad. And it does have way too many parking lots.

But KW, Guelph and the Hammer are going to do well in the next few years as satellite cities of Toronto, particularly if they finally get the Go Train going there. They all have their own distinct vibes to them. I'd prefer to live in KW then, say, Brampton.

Not really a fair comparison at all ... the KW region is by all means it's own separate entity from the GTA and has a rich history ... given it's size - I'm not sure why we give it so much credit, particularly given the fact it's a university town ... it should be compared to the likes of London Ontario, Hamilton (to lesser degree) and other similar sized cities in Canada. That said these changes are great but they've been a long time coming. Downtown Kitchener is still a little bit dumpy though (still quite a few homeless people ... nothing wrong with that though) - that's changing quickly though ... gentrification will kick in the only disadvantage downtown Kitchener has is it is not in waterloo proper - and that's an ugly curse in the KW region Waterloo == good / Kitchener == bad ... in all regards of life (from crime to property value).

Not really a fair comparison at all ... the KW region is by all means it's own separate entity from the GTA and has a rich history.

Well, yeah, my point exactly. And plop the GO Train in here, and it'll become a commuter town as much as Brampton.

Well, yeah, my point exactly. And plop the GO Train in here, and it'll become a commuter town as much as Brampton.

How so? It'd likely be a 2+ hour go train ride ... yes it'll be that long ... that's not really commuter distance - a good comparison to the north if Barrie (again about 2 hours) ... and while there's a go train now and some people do commute ... most people who live in Barrie work in the area and do not commute to Toronto.

Except it would be a commuter town both ways. There are as many people who commute into Kitchener-Waterloo for work as there are who commute out to Toronto.
Mind you, considering the size of K-W, it's kind of sad that they have a gay bar compared to other cities in the region. Brampton and Mississauga have larger populations and despite their close proximity to Toronto, Mississauga has quite a few clubs and bars.

It is one of my favourite Scotiabank branches. I also like the TD 1960s/1970s modernist branches. Yes, they mostly replaced historic buildings, but they were little outposts of their Mies downtown Toronto headquarters.

I wasn't sure at first whether to post this in B&A or City Photos, but I wanted this to be the counterpoint to what Brantford is up to. Kitchener will be left with a nice legacy of downtown heritage structure, Brantford demolished half their downtown heritage first in the 1980s - for that Eaton Market Square disaster and the Massey-Furgeson lands immediately to the south, then again in the last decade, up to this year. Kitchener isn't perfect in heritage preservation, but it's leaps and bounds ahead of some of its Mid-Western Ontario counterparts.

Don't knock Brampton too bad, it's recent heritage preservation record isn't bad either; it has protected its largest railside factory for commercial/small industrial lofts, while much of the other old railside factory will be incorporated into the Blade condos.

It is the parking lots that destroy cities. When they empty at the end of the day, they tend to stay empty. At least in Toronto, the parking is either hidden or most take public transit to get to the venue.

Back