News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 505     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

SUMMERHILL MARKET had the following comment on their Facebook post today.

It quickly became apparent that the Church Street store was too small and difficult to make it work for us. We would have to do 4-5 times the volume of sales and there was no loading area or storage. The nature of the transaction with All The Best gave us the opportunity to not assume the lease but had to decide quickly. It wasn't the intention but it became crystal clear it was a no win situation.

There is work going on at the old Pizzaiolo space (beside the Black Eagle). I asked one of the workers what was opening and they said a "recreational marijuana dispensary." Seems to be a new trend, with one opening up just north of Wellesley Street too.

There is work going on at the old Pizzaiolo space (beside the Black Eagle). I asked one of the workers what was opening and they said a "recreational marijuana dispensary." Seems to be a new trend, with one opening up just north of Wellesley Street too.

It now says Cannabis Culture in the window. And the facade is now green in place of red.

Cannabis Culture opened today at 4pm (Friday Sept. 30) and there was a lineup waiting to go in, I think this is the chain of shops operated by Marc Emery and his wife. I don't indulge, however I'm pro-pot, but I thought these places were getting busted as quickly as they opened? I also read that owners who had gone the store front route were turning into mail order businesses being safer than storefronts.

I find it strange they are marketing before they even have a formal development application in to the City. I guess they're confident it will get approved. I also love how they strategically only show the podium in all their materials, so that we have no idea how tall the tower will be!

From a bigger perspective, this project won't be replacing much valuable retail/bar space, so it might have a net positive effect on the Village. I'd love them to introduce a half decent restaurant or lounge space.

M Y S T E R I O U S M O T O R C Y C L E of C H U R C H W E L L E S L E Y.

A couple of nights a week, between the hours of roughly 10 PM to 11:30 PM, someone rides a loud (helicopter loud) motorcycle up Yonge Street. The rider begins his tour, numerous blocks south of here and seems to go all the way north to Rosedale and maybe beyond.

The bike must be a real "hog" in the Harley sense of the word. Its growl is macho and mean: like the iconic motorcycle sound "Rebel Without A Cause."

Has anyone else heard this? It's been going on for at least a year or two.

It does prompt some questions.

Why would someone do this?

Is it an attempt at an aural show of power?

Or a kind of audio graffiti?

Or does it simply feel good to straddle a large muffler-less motorcycle and ride hog wild up what is arguably one of the ugliest (Yonge) streets on the planet?

Have anyone else has noticed the motorcyclist.

And if so, any theories about this fellow?

Church on church has been replaced by a new bar called Blyss. And there's a new coffee shop opening up on the ground floor of the building on Isabella and Church.

The Freshmart has officially shuttered its doors. It's moved up to somewhere along Bloor.

Th storefront next to the dry cleaners is being used as a pop-up gallery for the time being; interesting idea.

Back