News   Apr 19, 2024
 321     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.9K     2 

Church-Wellesley Village

Halloween in the Village

The Church Street BIA really did it this year. I've never seen a Halloween with so many people packed onto the street but even better, so many in costume. Many businesses were decorated for the event, not great but it helped make the atmosphere a little more festive. I took my camera but between the shoulder-shoulder crowds and my dog I wasn't able to capture anything. I hope someone had better sense than I to bring a camera and leave their dog at home!

Well done.

it is extremely tragic and makes me more proud of our city and hope we never follow down the same road.

that being said, Halloween on Church last night seemed more packed than I had ever seen it before... it was awesome seeing the mix of everyone, queers, straights, families, adults, seniors, children, it's a true patchwork of diversity in the city. i think as we talk more and more of the Village evolving, I hope it becomes more of a space like this, not a gay village, but a diversity village of sorts.

Meanwhile out in the burbs. Halloween continues it's decline along with Christmas.

Kids/parents are getting lazier. I barely see anyone trick-or-treating anymore and there are fewer and fewer costumes...

Not that I mind too much but what I am afraid of is all that left-over candy (must resist munching). The last pack of trick-or-treaters I gave 7 helpings each just so i won't have leftovers.

Maybe this isn't the place for a discussion of Halloween but it's interesting to note that this has was the busiest Halloween in years and years on my street.

Last night's massive crownds on Church Street once again demonstrated the eagerness of Torontonians to turn out en masse for night time events. Hopefully, next year, they will close off a couple of more blocks of Church to accommodate the crowds. I was gobsmacked by not only the sheer volume of people but also the diversity which made it feel less like a gay event and more like a shared civic event.

The city has a great spirit - and an insatiable hunger for collective events where we can express who we are.

Among the many pleasures of this city are festivals and events which dot (and often clog) the calender throughout the year and bring out tens of thousands of people to a single event. Buskerfest, Caribana, Festival of Fire, Nuit Blanche, Kensington Market's Car Free Sundays, Calvacade of Lights & on and on. There is always such a great spirit of fun, positive atmosphere, friendly people and smiles aplenty. It's terrific to see these events bring people from their homes and become more and more popular each year.

A couple pics from the street last night showing how busy it was:

n172009245_34140933_1602.jpg

n172009245_34140934_1885.jpg

I am wondering why it is that Church Street is lucky enough to be able to be closed off for so many street festivals, when other streets in this city arent? Does it speak to the power/affluence of the Church Wellesley Village BIA, or is Church Street just a more convenient "secondary" downtown street that wont effect traffic flows when shut down?

I like the idea mentioned in another thread (on what streets should be improved) that Church Street get gates at the ends of "the village" - namely Carleton and either Wellesley or even Bloor. This city lacks gateways.

that's exactly it, Church isn't a major arterial at all, there's no transit service that would be disrupted, and the section that is closed usually (Wellesley to Alexander) is pretty small. I don't think it has anything to do with clout, just that the application is pretty simple and isn't a logistical nightmare like closing other streets would be.

I'm wondering if having a City Councillor who lives in the neighbourhood, and who supports the health of the neighbourhood helps too?

that's exactly it, Church isn't a major arterial at all, there's no transit service that would be disrupted, and the section that is closed usually (Wellesley to Alexander) is pretty small. I don't think it has anything to do with clout, just that the application is pretty simple and isn't a logistical nightmare like closing other streets would be.
Although the City's transportation services department fought Pride Toronto's desire to close Church Street earlier on Friday night for years. The neighbourhood and Pride Toronto had always wanted the street closed at 6:00pm on Pride Friday, but the city would never approve anything earlier than 10:00pm due to "congestion reasons" (even though the sidewalks were dangerously full of people). This past Pride though, they finally allowed for the earlier closing.

Although the City's transportation services department fought Pride Toronto's desire to close Church Street earlier on Friday night for years. The neighbourhood and Pride Toronto had always wanted the street closed at 6:00pm on Pride Friday, but the city would never approve anything earlier than 10:00pm due to "congestion reasons" (even though the sidewalks were dangerously full of people). This past Pride though, they finally allowed for the earlier closing.

Well, the squeegee drag queens always brought traffic to a halt anyway.

Cawthra Square Park

PICT0964.jpg

PICT0968.jpg

Back