Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

I for one am looking forward to this. Despite the fact that it will probably end up looking like Aura (a beautiful curtainwall sliver wedged in between spandrel slabs for the bulk of the building), the shape of the building itself will stand out amongst others in the area and even more so the podium.
And while it will block out the majority of Ice from the lake, I think the angle of the roof actually points to the main observation level of the CN tower (don't quote me on that).

300 Front was considered somewhat of an "iconic" address and look what happened there. Pretty much everything that Tridel has built in the city has been a disappointment. The rendering suggests "precast", which seems to be Tridel's bread and butter. Personally, I think precast looks tired. What I feel will happen is they will use curtainwall for some aspects of the development and use spandrel for other aspects (in particular the area between the precast). If Tridel really cared about producing something iconic, they would look elsewhere to a firm that can deliver such. Wallman has been hit and miss recently, but I understand often times architects are at the mercy of the developer's budget. In the end, whether it's curtainwall or spandrel, I still think it's a pretty weak design and reeks of "Tridel".

I'd have to agree. With every project Tridel produces we keep expecting them to do something different. They never do. It's always mullions, precast and spandrel to the max. I have very low expectations for this project. I like Tridel as a builder but when it comes to actual design, they're pretty mediocre.

I'd have to agree. With every project Tridel produces we keep expecting them to do something different. They never do. It's always mullions, precast and spandrel to the max. I have very low expectations for this project. I like Tridel as a builder but when it comes to actual design, they're pretty mediocre.

To be fair, their Alexandra Park SQ project will be quite decent if executed properly - and it does break the mould as far as Tridel is concerned. That said, their high rise portfolio thus far does not impress from an architectural front.

AoD

To be fair, their Alexandra Park SQ project will be quite decent if executed properly - and it does break the mould as far as Tridel is concerned. That said, their high rise portfolio thus far does not impress from an architectural front.

AoD

"if executed properly" When does that happen with this developer? 300 Front was supposed to be a can't miss "if executed properly" and look what we ended up with. Not terrible but way different than what we thought.

"if executed properly" When does that happen with this developer? 300 Front was supposed to be a can't miss "if executed properly" and look what we ended up with. Not terrible but way different than what we thought.

No argument from me there - just saying that at least SQ is an attempt to break the doldrums - 300 Front wasn't nearly as adventurous from the get go, and we all knew how it turned out in the end.

AoD

Sept 4
You can see the smaller foot print the tower is going to used now since its on the 2nd floor.
20632231803_9753333766_b.jpg

21261373011_e471c70299_b.jpg

21261382121_4339e20cb2_b.jpg

21227108486_ee95320d78_b.jpg

21066496999_93be728d81_b.jpg

21227118416_0ce272155a_b.jpg

Back