Toronto TCHC Block 32 Development | ?m | 41s | TCHC | KPMB

It may never become a major tourist attraction but I think it will become more interesting and significant as the area becomes more built up. What I mean is that the simplicity and realitive insignificance of the fort realitive to the city that has grown around it enhances it's meaning and impact.

Much like Bryant Park in midtown Manhattan. Fantastic space that.

Nov. 1

DSC03784.jpg

The mustering (inspection) grounds at the top of the pic is a lovely little oasis with tremendous potential... only 2 squatters (both are polite), shade trees and lawns for the doggies... so a "park" is already on-site.

When Fort York was actually functioning as a fort, all those trees surrounding the property would have been knocked down for security reasons. The soldiers would have wanted a clear view of the enemy (ie. Americans) if they came close.
Today, its the reverse. We would want more trees, especially along the railway and the streets, to camouflage them from the grey colours and noise. Maybe we can get the building owners to paint those building walls green, and get rid of those billboards at the fork in the railway tracks.
You can see the future LRT right-of-way that would go down the middle of Fort York Blvd. (aka. Bremner Blvd.), at present just grass or construction.
DSC03784.jpg

Quote" When Fort York was actually functioning as a fort, all those trees surrounding the property would have been knocked down for security reasons. The soldiers would have wanted a clear view of the enemy (ie. Americans) if they came close."

One should also remember that the Fort was on, or very close to, the shore of Lake Ontario so was protected by the Lake on one side and Garrison Creek on the eastern side too. (GC ran about where the Bathurst Bridge now is.)

It's small so I can't really see it ever becoming a big tourist attraction - not much they can really improve to be honest.

Fort George in NOTL and Old Fort Henry in Kingston attract many tourists. Fort York is actually the largest collection of military buildings from the War of 1812 in Canada and the potential for exhibits and special events is enormous. It would also be a huge draw for class trips etc.

The mustering (inspection) grounds at the top of the pic is a lovely little oasis with tremendous potential... only 2 squatters (both are polite), shade trees and lawns for the doggies... so a "park" is already on-site.

I agree with the potential. This is a national historic site and we can probably do better than dog poop and squatters.

As a national historic site it is deplorable that the Fort is as neglected as it is. Money for rejuvination should be coming from the city and all levels of government. All the more so as the bicentennial of the War of 1812 approaches which makes me wonder if the feds will spend the sort of money here they did for Quebec City's celebrations this year?

One comment I'd like to make is who's to say the attendance of fort york is very low ... I wouldn't be surprised if it's quite high ... higher then what you mention in Kingston. I could be wrong but just likely by all the schools that travel to it and the large GTA area.

Still though I agree it hasn't reached it's potential.

Most likely, but who knows when. I remember hearing that one of the buildings in these blocks will contain market-units and TCHC is looking for a development partner to build them. It'll be a similar situation as Regent Park with money from the sale of land to the developer (or a similar scenario) helping to pay off the costs of building the TCHC buildings and library. There is also some Section 37 money from Concord allocated towards this project also IIRC.

The TCHC Annual Report for 2007 (the most recent one) says:

Railway Lands - Blocks 32, 36 and 31
Toronto Community Housing is responsible for the development of some City-owned properties in the Railway Lands, near Old Fort York. The goal is to design a new community that sets benchmarks for environmental, economic and social sustainability; targets the housing needs of lower-income families; finds a sense of place in a rich local history; and is planned through meaningful consultation with area residents.

The first two blocks to be developed will be Blocks 32 and 36. Together, these properties will have 650 units in four residential buildings and a new Toronto Public Library. About 60% of the total development will be affordable for lower income families, while 40% will be built as market housing. Most of the units in the development will larger and designed for families with children.

Construction is scheduled to start in spring 2008 with the first units available at the end of 2009.

Following shortly after Blocks 32 & 36 will be Block 31. This site will include 325 units of affordable housing, a public elementary school, a Catholic elementary school a community recreation centre and City of Toronto childcare facility.

I think they are running late :->

These are some conceptual drawings of that block. Please note these are not final - just conceptual.

2368393970_31d2152bf3_b.jpg

2367537189_3d14f1779f_o.jpg

2368370814_1fac65053e_o.jpg

Wow, I really hope this is what it looks like. It looks awesome, especailly the curvy poduim. It would be so cool to live inside the same building as a library.

Those are conceptual only, meaning that what you see in the rendering isn't an actual proposal. It's more like a suggestion -- what the city expects in terms of massing and density. The buildings in the pictures won't actually be built as you see them there.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Hopefully we get something other than an extension of Concord Cityplace, as those buildings are quite unimaginative.

Why that loks pretty funky!! OK, it may not really fit in this area, but i rather like it. where is that anyway?? Seems pretty European, Germany perhaps??

Back