504     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Tai Pan Tours / Bus Tours???

Greg

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a U of T student, who has only a few weeks and a small budget to fit in a vacation between semesters. There was a bus tour to New York offered through our school, but the accommodations were a hostel, which doesn't really suit my taste.

Does anyone know of any affordable tours leaving from Toronto to New York, Washington, Florida, or any other interesting places within the United States?

I have found a 4 day tour of NYC, Washington, and Boston for only $229.00 through Tai Pan Tours, but I am unsure if this tour operator is legitimate, English speaking, or worth it.

Any feedback on this company, or suggestions as to places to visit or tour operators? Thanks in advance!

Greg:

It's legit - but Chinese speaking.

AoD

Hmm, surely being a Canadian operation, there must be some broken English spoken. Should I consider this a deal breaker and move on, or consider the cheap price and take in the sites with Chinese narration?

Greg:

I don't think I am of much help in that regards - I haven't taken part in these Chinese bus tours - what I do know is that you probably can't beat the price, but the tour itself is very compressed - so don't expect to be able to soak in at any one location.

AoD

It's not Chinese speaking. They do have English speaking guides. The tour does largely cater to Chinese speakers though.

As someone who has taken this 4 day tour I will tell you that it's not worth it. It's terrible for a vacation. You are up at 6 and on the road at 7. You spend most of the time on the road, only to pull up in front off major attractions to take a quick picture.

It basically caters to the stereotypical shutterbug tourist who has no interest in even touring any of the attractions. For example, the first day in Boston we were dropped off for about an hour near the harbour. Not much time to see anything. Next morning they showed us the campus of Harvard and MIT. I would hardly call that a grand tour of Boston. In New York, the stopped off in front of the UN buildings, drove past Times Square and offered tours of the wax museum and Rockafeller Center. In DC, we stopped on a roadway cutting through the Mall, just to take a picture with the Capitol in the background. Then they rushed us through the Smithsonian that has the hope diamond in it. In Philly, they take you to the park with the Liberty Bell, but of course they don't give you enough time to actually line up and get to take a picture with the bell inside or to take the tour of the old courthouse. That should give you an idea of what kind of tourist experience you'll have. It's for people like my parents (who dragged me on this trip) who now claim to have seen Boston, Philadelphia, New York and DC after going on this trip. Tai Pan is for people who just want a picture to say they were there.

Also, be forewarned. They will tell you that they are staying at top hotels like Hilton, Sheraton, etc. They stay at their lower chains like the Hilton Garden Inn, Four Points, etc. in locations that are usually in the suburbs of places you are visiting and usually far from any access to public transit. We drove 45 mins into NJ after our 'trip' through NYC. Though me and my brother would have gladly taken the subway back into town for a night out, it was simply too far and cumbersome from the motel we were at.

The last issue I had was with food. Though this is probably not an issue for most people. In every city they basically stop in Chinatown for lunch. There's no real effort to let you try local foods and specialties. No New York pizza, no seafood in Boston, no cheese steak in Philly. The rest of the food stops are highway rest stops or third rate restaurants in suburban big box plazas.

The best way I can sum it up would be to give you the equivalent of a trip to Toronto. So you'd spend hours on a bus early in the morning to arrive at the SkyDome and CN Tower at 10 am. They would only give you 5 minutes to take a picture in front of the attractions. Then they would bus you to some cheap and relatively quicker attraction like the Ontario Science Centre, then take you for lunch on Spadina somewhere and start making their way out of town. Along the way they would point out Nathan Phillips square, the Eaton Centre, etc. and then drive out to a Hilton Garden Inn in Markham somewhere. There you go, you have visited Toronto.

I did it once (mostly because my entire family was going). I'll never do it again. Was a waste of my money and time. But if you want a drive through experience of a city with minimal planning effort Tai Pan is perfect. My suggestion, pool together with friends or use a hostel to stay in a city. Then use a hop-on/hop-off tour service. Far more enjoyable. Don't get swayed by the whole 'you get to see 4 cities for only 230 bucks gambit'. You get what you pay for. For Tai Pan prices you get what you pay for and deserve, a drive through cell phone camera worth photo tour of 4 cities with cheap motels and average food along the way.

Thank you very much Keithz for taking the time to write that out, you certainly have helped me spend my money much more wisely. I will definitely have to sleep on it, but I the megabus route is beginning to sound more and more better. Probably is best to keep my eye on the last minute deals for a hotel and leave the touring to myself.

Megabus plus Priceline will probably be the best way to go about it.
When I went to Chicago last November me and some friends got rooms at the Hyatt Regency (same hotel Obama stayed at on election night) for only US$60 on Priceline. Probably some of the nicest rooms I've stayed in and I've probably been in 60 or 70 hotels.

I'd suggest going to a site like biddingfortravel.com and seeing what people are bidding to get certain hotels and go fro there. Just for example, here in Toronto you can get rooms on Priceline in the Sheraton Centre and the Westin Harbour Castle for only $50.

Keithz,

That sounds like the worst trip ever. Jan Wong wrote an excellent article about this a few years ago.

Jan Wong's article is bang on. Absolutely spot on about the experience. I totally forgot about the details: Jackie Chan movies, the wake-up calls (I am in the Air Force and I don't get up that early on weekends!...and how flipping long does it take to pack really?), and the 'tip' to the driver (though in fairness Tai Pan does tell you in advance about that...they call it gas money), and of course the charges for the attractions being separate (again Tai Pan does disclose all that).

What got me most upset about the tour though was the level of knowledge of the tour guides. I shudder to think of the history lesson we are imparting on our guests. We actually had one of the more experienced guides and both me and my brother knew more American history than him....and we are by no means American history buffs or have ever taken courses in that subject. By the end of the tour, my extended family who was with me would ignore the guide and just let me explain the significance of the sights.

Anyway, like I pointed out earlier, there is probably a market for this kind of 'pop' tourism. My parents now tell people they've seen New York after spending 6 hours in the city seeing a wax museum, rockafeller center, snapping a few pics in front of the UN building and driving by Central Park and Time Square. I don't doubt that most of their Chinese clientele would really be no different in mentality. They just want to say they've been there and they want the pic to prove it. Most tourists on these trips have no interest in actually learning anything or visiting the attractions in any depth.

Interestingly, price wise its actually not that cheap when you work it out. If you stayed 4 to a room with friends and managed to get a large enough group to travel in vans, it would actually come fairly close to the charges by these tour groups. I made that point with my family prior to booking. They, unfortunately, got swayed by the number of cities they were getting to 'see'.

Finally a suggestion to Greg....hit up DC if you have a low budget. Smithsonians are free. And the rest of the museums are cheaper than in Canada. You can find accommodations for a decent price further out of the city core and ride the subway in. Even New York can be done on a budget with some careful planning and if you have friends to help better aggregate costs.

I can't imagine anything more unnerving than spending three days in a bus with Jan Wong - unless it's employing her as a cleaning lady.

In the summer of 1978 I spent three days in a bus, travelling from London to Athens; it was great fun and cost 25 Pounds. We packed lots of sandwiches and they lasted almost until we entered communist Yugoslavia.

I've taken one of these Chinese discount tours to NYC during my student days and promised myself to never EVER, EHHVER do it again. The bus I was on blasted 80's music and it didn't stop. By the time we were in Burlington I had to beg the tour guide to turn the "effing" music off! When we got to NYC, the tour consisted of quick drive-bys of monuments and a lovely stop at a suburban mall for shopping, yes shopping!!! (At the time of booking, i didn't realize the trip involved a stop at a NJ shopping centre, my bad really). I seriously considered taking a flight back to Toronto but I couldn't afford it. So thank the stars I was able to get hammered on our last night in NYC and was able to sleep during the whole ride back to Toronto.

I wanted to go back to NYC again so I purposely took on a temp job during the weekends and saved up enough to buy an airline ticket and book a decent hotel.

Last edited:
I went on a Tai Pan tour last year. I did the Chicago trip. Here is a picture from that trip that sums it all up:
n172008029_34950583_9659.jpg

That accident ended up canceling the stop at a shopping centre on the way home... thank god.

The hotels were pretty nice though and the rest of the trip wasn't all that bad. Its fast paced so don't expect time to relax and unwind.

I lived in DC for awhile, and it's honestly got to be one of the cheapest places to vacation in that I can think of. Round trip airfare was something like $200 or $250, all of the attractions are free, and the subway system is irritating but connects everything worth seeing (other than Georgetown, but that's just a 20 minute walk from Foggy Bottom anyways). You could easily spend an enjoyable week just going through the Smithsonians, and the city is imminently walkable so random wandering is always fun as well. The only thing that might set you back a little is the hotel room, but look somewhere outside the city (but on the subway) like Bethesda or Arlington and it shouldn't be unreasonable.

And if you're in DC you can try one of those weird Chinatown buses if you want to see other cities. I can't remember the exact fare but it was ludicrously cheap, something like $5 one-way to NYC.

^ I see the Tai Pan marketers have hit the mean streets of UT to try and recover their miserable reputation.

Back