News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

"Suburban" Critical Mass

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
I attended the first-ever "suburban" Critical Mass last Sunday. The crowd was somewhat small, but it didn't deter us from heading up, down and all around some of Toronto's biggest traffic sewers and experiencing that "other half" of the city from the top of a two wheeler.

The event (much like its big downtown brother) will now be a monthly event and will take place on the second Sunday of every month at 15:00 meeting on the north-west corner of Yonge & Eglinton.

The Facebook event page is here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=18583689023

Here's some pictures from the day...

This was roughly our route.
DSCN5239.jpg

Getting instructions from our leader Jacob at Yonge & Eglinton.
DSCN5240.jpg

Deciding between Critical Mass or Critical Manners. We went with "manners" due to the smaller nature of the crowd.
DSCN5241.jpg

Yonge Street through North Toronto...
DSCN5242.jpg

DSCN5243.jpg

Hogg's Hollow.
DSCN5244.jpg

Sheppard & Bessarion...
DSCN5245.jpg

DSCN5246.jpg

A Don Mills subdivision in the Sheppard E & Don Mills area.
DSCN5247.jpg

Crossing over the 401 at Don Mills Rd.
DSCN5248.jpg

Don Mills Rd...
DSCN5249.jpg

DSCN5250.jpg

DSCN5251.jpg

Bayview underpass (at Lawrence E).
DSCN5253.jpg

I never grew-up anywhere near this underpass, but it's always stuck in my mind since I was a kid and passed under it once. It was a bit of a thrill to ride my bike through it to be honest.
DSCN5254.jpg

Next month's "suburban" Critical Mass will be heading west from Yonge & Eglinton, possibly as far as Rexdale! It will take place on August 10th.

Hope to see some of you there!

I'm surprised nobody got run over in that tunnel on Bayview! Traffic always seems to hustle around there... though its also a favourite spot for cops to issue speeding tickets.

Looks like you can count all the bikers in the crowd with your fingers.

I'm interested in joining a future suburban "Critical Mass". However I find Yonge and Eglinton to be a bit too "urban" to be the start of a "suburban" event. North York Centre or Scarborough Centre might make more appropriate starting points. If it comes to Scarborough I'm definitely in.

I never grew-up anywhere near this underpass, but it's always stuck in my mind since I was a kid and passed under it once. It was a bit of a thrill to ride my bike through it to be honest.

Me too! I've only been under that underpass a few times, and always as a child and seeing that image brings back memories. It's amazing how a little detail can make an area distinctive and memorable.

Toronto Critical Mass

This thread went nowhere back in 2008.

Now with Rob Ford as Mayor of Toronto, it is time for the War On The Car to really start, instead of the small skirmishes we have had before.

Instead of Suburban, it will have to the Toronto Critical Mass.

What's the point?
Can't wait for the January edition.

This is nothing more than URBAN TERRORISMT

Lets not go there on this civilized UrbanToronto! ( I was going to say then, that this is URBAN TERRORISM against the URBAN/ENVIRONMENTAL/HEALTH TERRORISM of the oldfashioned automobile culture!)

Here's my take on that art installation under Lawrence (From my photoblog back in Sept 2004):

bayview-lawrence.jpg

At the time I was unsuccessful at finding any details - I heard it was designed to be seen from a speeding car, hence the photos.

"Lets not go there on this civilized UrbanToronto!" QUOTE seemsartless.

Past TENSE.

J T

EOM.

Back