News   Apr 24, 2024
 943     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 616     0 

Submission 16: O.R.E. - "The Braided Strands"

How would rate Submission 16 out of ten?

Votes: 78 56.1%

Votes: 26 18.7%

Votes: 15 10.8%

Votes: 8 5.8%

Votes: 5 3.6%

Votes: 6 4.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
If only...

If only this was placed over a river or the harbour I'd believe that people would hang out there and busk and whatnot. I have trouble imagining the diesel exhaust filled environment being as attractive as pictured here. Nice job though, pretty, well thought out and build-able!

^ But aha! That's what I think the rail corridor, or the central part of it should be:

Deck over the rail corridor from Strachan to Spadina and insulate it with a watertight membrane to create a shallow canal that gives Fort York and City Place Park a river at their northern border and beautifies Front St. creating a catalyst for development along that now industrial stretch. In the winter it would be our version of Ottawa's Rideau Canal.

It's a short distance but would remove the psychological barrier of the rail corridor. Eventually, this canal could be extended to near the Union Station shed.

Remember the $10M?

Well, you do think big! I want the CN tower shifted a bit to the left if you can work that in. It is a gorgeous drawing though, maybe the budget will have to grow!

re: submission 16

This design has probably the most potential to solve all the needs of the project, and to provide numerous bonuses at a relatively reasonable cost.
I agree it has potential to become an 'instantLandmark' and will appeal to any City official or design panel with a sense of 'vision', and not just a 'need to build the least'.
Surely there are many other offerings that have smart, humorous, and 'cute' aspects to them; and this demonstrates the ineffectual aspect of a "competition" - choose a winner, and loose all the other great ideas that are not part of the 'package'. However, i must admit the process has brought out a strong showing. If all this 'new blood' can be coerced (kicking and screaming) to rework our City's "look" and maintain the apparent undercurrent of practicality, we are in good hands!

the multi-level multi-path design is very nice and complements the facade materials in Cityplace ... but I do wonder the cost implication of this design, since effectively 3 bridges are being built which cris-crosses one another ...

Does ORE have an estimated cost for this bridge design?

We are attemtping to get a large contractor to take a look at our design and give us their first thoughts, but it might take a bit of time (if they agree to do it).

Bottom line, the $2.5M or so Concord has in their books is not going to get anyone too far.

SpadinaBus
Team ORE

Everyone seems to forget that for the purposes of this charette we have proposed a budget of up to $10 million for this marquee location (implies significant fundraising challenges obviously). The assumption is this will probably be the only significant link across the rail canyon downtown to be built in many, many years. This is a city-building exercise that shouldn't be wasted.

But where is the Green?

I think i like this one the most... but its missing the Greenery, I'd like to see this incorporate some Grass or trees. I love the meeting area too, i was thinking about this myself.

this is my fav. 10/10

well done

Last edited:

Back