Toronto Studio and Studio2 on Richmond | 131.06m | 41s | Aspen Ridge | BDP Quadrangle

From yesterday evening:

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00019.jpg
    DSC00019.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 1,321
  • DSC00028.jpg
    DSC00028.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,344
yay i went there too~ it's building 32 floor now.... hope there is no delay. builder said move in is in jan 2016. pray now...

does anyone know what's the plan for that big parking lot in the west of studio 2 beside scotia theater?:confused:

attachment.php

Yet another fine example of Not green.

attachment.php

Thank you for the fantastic photos interchange42.

Attachments

• 20150518_144844.jpg
    20150518_144844.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 1,063
Last edited by a moderator:
This thing is awfully monochromatic and not in a carefully refined way. Also the paneling of the pre-cast is done in such a way that the panel gaps are noticeably different from the incised rustication lines. The combination looks a little sloppy.

There are too many design gestures on the exterior. The end up weakly competing with each other with non of them really winning.

There's some colour… but not enough to make the buildings colourful.

The two-floor notches are pronounced, yet they're undercut by the balconies which run through them at points.

There a semi-interesting diagonal mullions at the corners, but they could be eye-catching if they were far more pronounced. (They'd work if they were more like frames than mullions.)

The extending and retreating balconies are pretty neat, but can only made out from a select few angles. (I agree with Khristopher that they'd work much better if the rest of the exterior followed that plan.)

There may be a couple of other gestures I'm missing from that list, but no building needs four different things going on, let alone more. I think each gesture is interesting conceptually, but each of them leave me wanting more, so that they could actually make an impact, while wanting less or none of the others on that same building.

I don't think this makes Studio a disaster or failure at all, it's just not as concise a design as it could have been. The two-floor notches are still unique, and they mostly work, and they will make the buildings identifiable from both up close and from a distance… and that's worth something. The completion of the street wall on Richmond on that block is a huge win. I hope the OCAD U art gallery is finished well and does good things for both the school and for animation of the street. It'll be good for the area to have a thousand more people living on that block.

Maybe this is the last of the crappy entertainment district projects we'll have to witness ? Essentially just about all the newer condos, while many will argue, all glass and boring, they're much better then what we're left with here i.e. the Bond / pinnacle / Peter / Tablue / ...

Back